Trump Allows US Companies to Work with Huawei Again
- Author: Leroy Wright Июн 30, 2019,
Июн 30, 2019, 16:43
"We're holding on tariffs, and they're going to buy farm product", he said. "Governments and companies around the world will have to address those costs against the supposed risks of national security". China retaliated with its own tariffs on American exports.
Trump and Xi were expected to focus on issues including trade and a dispute over Huawei Technologies. Both leaders are looking at ways to restart trade talks between their two countries.
The US has previously claimed the firm is a security threat and its technology can be used by the Chinese government to spy on countries that harness it.
Eleven rounds of talks have so far failed to end the standoff between the U.S. and China.
"I said that's OK, that we will keep selling that product, these are American companies that make these products".
The Chinese tech giant also asked for an end to US' state-sanctioned campaign against it, arguing that it would "not deliver cybersecurity".
But Trump said on June 29 he did not think that was fair to USA suppliers, who were upset by the move.
And he said Mr Trump's comments may make other countries, including New Zealand, start reconsidering their positions on a 5G Huawei rollout. In May, Trump signed an executive order blocking United States companies from doing business with Huawei.
Mr Trump's decision to allow U.S. companies to continue to sell to Huawei "where there's no great national security problem" could be a substantial concession, although exactly how this will play out remains unclear.
Financial markets are likely to breathe a sigh of relief on news of the resumption in U.S. U.S. officials have accused the company of working to undermine U.S. national security and foreign policy interests. The White House didn't release details about Trump's plans for delaying the Huawei ban or the expansion of tariffs on goods originating from China.
Huawei has denied accusations of wrongdoing.
The move to blacklist Huawei was seen as a major escalation that could hurt the company's supply chain. "Excellent. I would say excellent".
China's Xinhua state-run news agency reported the US would hold off on threatened tariffs.
On Friday, the European Union and the South American trade bloc Mercosur sealed a blockbuster trade deal after 20 years of talks, with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker hailing it as a "strong message" in support of "rules-based trade".
United States microchip makers also applauded the move. China insisted this week that Huawei must be removed from the blacklist under any deal.