Sri Lanka bombings: Who are the suspects?
- Author: Leroy Wright Апр 24, 2019,
Апр 24, 2019, 14:25
Sri Lanka's State Minister of Defense Ruwan Wijewardene said earlier the government had evidence the bombings were carried out by an Islamic fundamentalist group in retaliation for the March 15 mosque shootings in Christchurch that killed 50 people. The Sri Lankan police have taken 58 suspects in custody. Government officials have since indicated that the alleged suicide bombers and those since arrested were affiliated with the group.
Among those identified are 10 Indians, six Britons, three Danes, two Chinese, two Turks, two Saudis, two people with dual USA and British nationalities, and two holding dual Australian and Sri Lankan nationalities, as well as one each from Bangladesh, Japan, the Netherlands, Portugal and Spain.
Sir Lanka's leaders have vowed to overhaul the security apparatus amid a series of intelligence lapses before the attacks.
Prime Minister Imran Khan, in a telephone conversation with his Sri Lankan counterpart Ranil Wickremesinghe on Wednesday, strongly condemned the string of bombings in Sri Lanka that claimed the lives of at least 359 people.
In 2016, the Justice Minister confirmed that 32 Sri Lankans had joined ISIS in Syria.
India's High Commission here released the details of the repatriation of mortal remains of Indian victims in a series of tweets.
Four separate planes carrying the mortal remains of the nine Indians landed in Bengaluru and Hyderabad.
ISIS terror group Tuesday claimed responsibility for the bombings of three churches and posh hotels, Sri Lanka's worst terror attack, that killed 321 people.
As the investigation into Sunday's Islamic State-claimed attack continues, FBI agents and US military personnel are in Sri Lanka assisting the probe, Ambassador Alaina Teplitz said.
He said the group used to be part of National Thowheed Jamath, who have previously been blamed for the atrocity, but splintered off as their views became more extreme.
The bomber who attacked the Shangri-La hotel has been identified by police as Insan Seelavan, a factory owner.
At a separate press conference this morning, the United States ambassador Alaina Teplitz said "clearly there was some failure in the system", ahead of the bombings and that she had "no prior knowledge" of a threat.
"Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas", the US Department of State wrote in an upgraded advisory.
"Somebody is controlling these top intelligence officials".
A number of people who were known followers of the terror cell and had a "deep hatred towards nonbelievers" were also mentioned in the document.
According to a translated advisory document, the extremist group responsible for the Sri Lankan attacks was being monitored, and security services were aware an attack on "Catholic churches" was imminent.
"Well I can't speak for others".
Sri Lanka's government pointed the finger at the little-known local Islamist group National Thowheeth Jama'ath, but said the group likely had "international" help.
Defence Minister Ruwan Wijewardene also asked people to "remain vigilant" on Wednesday morning as he admitted that the situation was not fully under control.
"We have to take responsibility".
President Maithripala Sirisena in an address to the nation on Tuesday said that he would effect a shuffle in the security establishment within 24 hours.
A Danish billionaire lost 3 of his children in the attacks, a spokesman for his company said.