Australian cardinal challenges custody after child sex crimes conviction
- Author: Leroy Wright Feb 27, 2019,
Feb 27, 2019, 20:58
"There has been a breach of trust in this case in the sense that Cardinal Pell was the driving force and in charge of this cathedral and these two choristers were a cog in the cathedral wheel.in Sunday masses".
Judge Peter Kidd revoked Pell's bail on Wednesday, granted for medical treatment after his 2018 trial, and he was immediately taken into custody at the end of the plea hearing.
The verdict was handed down in December, but it could not be reported until now due to legal reasons.
Pell was found guilty in December of orally raping a 13-year-old boy and molesting another after Sunday mass at St Patrick's Cathedral in East Melbourne in 1996.
Many in the Vatican are of the same mind, according to Pentin. "He believes it is appropriate from him to await sentencing".
Judge Kidd said he would aim to "deter others" in his sentencing and that Pell was "very unlikely to reoffend".
The Vatican confirmed Pell, who was third in command of the Catholic Church and once considered a pope in waiting, was under investigation by the the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith. The complainant alleged that Pell had walked in on them.
Cardinal Pell, a former archbishop of Sydney, took a leave of absence in mid-2017 from his position as prefect of the Vatican Secretariat for the Economy.
Each of the five offences carries a maximum 10 years in jail.
Mr Abbott, who previously described Pell as a "fine man" when charges were first laid, refused multiple times to say whether he would remain a friend and supporter of Pell if the conviction were upheld. His lawyers have appealed the convictions and will apply for bail in the Court of Appeal later Wednesday.
Pell faced an abusive crowd Wednesday as he entered court half an hour before his sentencing hearing began.
Pell grimaced, appeared incredulous, distressed, waved his arms over his head and muttered to himself as the detectives detailed the accusations that his victim had leveled against him a year earlier.
A few weeks later Pell attacked the complainant again as he passed him in the church corridor, pushing him against the wall and squeezing his genitals hard through his choir robes, before walking off.
The other choirboy, who died of a drug overdose in 2014, had never told his parents he was abused.
Lawyer Robert Richter QC did not object to a compulsory forensic sample being taken from his client, who will also be registered as a serious sex offender. He then moved to the second boy and put his penis in the boy's mouth.
"Our hope, at all times, is that, through this process, justice will be served", Archbishop Coleridge wrote.
The Crown's case "is built on speculation". "It involved two vulnerable boys, given their age, 13". "What a load of garbage and falsehood and deranged falsehood".
"I absolutely accept that this is a shocking result, a devastating result, but it is subject to appeal", he told 2GB radio.
The court heard testimony from one of the victims.
Pope Francis removed Pell as a member of his informal cabinet in October. The assault on Richter is an "assault on the court", he said. "This is an act of outrageous malice by a prejudiced jury".
The court had until Tuesday forbidden publication of any details about the trial.
Pell has already appealed the verdict.
"Charges have been flying at Pell for 15 years".
Pell is the most senior official in the Catholic Church to be convicted of a sexual offence.