Wimbledon 2018 -- Novak Djokovic-Rafael Nadal semifinal halted by Wimbledon curfew

It also broke the record for the longest single-day match at Wimbledon, which was 5 hours, 31 minutes.

It was sheer madness as the second semifinal between Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal had to start under the roof, with a possibility of not finishing the match on Friday turning into reality when play was stopped mid-match. That final will not start before 2 p.m. local time (9 a.m. ET). "I can tell you that Djokovic's weakness is his overhead", Becker said while commentating on the BBC coverage of the match. Just playing like that in those conditions was really tough on both of us.

Their eagerly-awaited semi-final was halted just after 11pm (2200GMT) under a curfew agreement with Djokovic leading Nadal 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (11/9). The 2012 Olympian played the longest match in Wimbledon history in 2010. Standing in her way is 2016 runner-up Angelique Kerber in a repeat of Williams' last match at Wimbledon prior to maternity leave.

"I personally think a sensible option would be 12-All". "I've hit a lot of left-handed balls throughout my life".

"I apologise if I´m not more excited right now".

South Africa's Kevin Anderson returns against United States player John Isner during their men's singles semi-final match on the eleventh day of the 2018 Wimbledon Championships at The All England Lawn Tennis Club in Wimbledon.

Anderson will play again in the final on Sunday - hopefully there, a victor will be decided in four sets or less.

South Africa's Kevin Anderson reacts after winning his semi final match against John Isner. The US Open is the lone major that has a tiebreak in the deciding set. "I have to say congratulations to John on a great tournament, semi-finals here is a remarkable achievement and hopefully he can come back stronger".

"I think grass is her best surface".

The exhausted players embraced at the net after a classic encounter eventually finished 7-6 (8/6) 6-7 (5/7) 6-7 (9/11) 6-4 26-24 in South African Anderson's favour after six hours and 36 minutes. But the viewers around the world first had to wait for long for John Isner and Kevin Anderson to finish a once-in-a-lifetime contest.

Maybe the most excruciating part of all is that Anderson now has to turn around and get ready for the championship on Sunday, while Isner has to face the harsh reality that this preposterous marathon match was all for naught. At 6-5, Anderson saved a set point with a smash on his serve and went on to take the opener 7-6 (10-8) in 63 minutes on two errors by his opponent. Each man also took a turn shouting toward the crowd after capturing a set, and Isner waved a hand toward the crowd during the third-set tiebreaker to generate more cheering.

The final set alone lasted for two hours and 50 minutes.

In addition to his own 161 aces, the 208cm-tall Isner has won every single one of his 95 service games, facing a measly seven break points in five matches. But the ex-Illini had his serve broken in Game 9 of that set before he double-faulted while up 8-7 in the tiebreaker.

Anderson then took to social media hours after the match to once again praise Isner.

Anderson and Isner go way back, to their days when they played in college, Isner at Georgia, Anderson at IL.

  • Julie Sanders