Five rebels, five civilians killed by Indian security forces

He said Pakistan was gravely concerned over the escalation of systematic brutalities, killing of innocent civilians, and human rights violations by the "Indian security forces" with impunity in Kashmir. The two other civilians killed in security forces' actions have been identified as Sajad Ahmed Rather, a resident of Verinag, Dooru in Anantnag district and Adil Ahmed, a resident of Mahigund Ashmuji village of Kulgam.

More than 100 protesters were injured in clashes with police during the protests.

"The injured RR soldier and a constable have been shifted to a hospital".

Jammu and Kashmir Pradesh Congress Committee (JKPCC) president GA Mir expressed profound grief over the civilian killings in Shopian and described it as highly unfortunate and painful.

Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, a top separatist leader and chief Muslim cleric, condemned the attack on tourists as hooliganism.

During the past few years, authorities have vigorously campaigned to attract Indian and global visitors to the region as a symbol of normalcy after a decades-long anti-India insurgency. Anti-India protests and clashes continued in the area.

A couple of Kashmiri students, including those pursuing engineering course and post-graduation, had in the recent past joined terrorist ranks, but it was for the first instance of a university teacher picking up the gun. He said that India has been buying time by hiding behind the facade of bilateral talks and excluding the people and true political leadership of Kashmir from talks related to the resolution of the matter. His last words were: "I am sorry if I hurt you". A citizen also died in this encounter.

Ten Kashmiris, among them a professor, were shot dead by Indian forces during a clash and protests in one of the most violent days in India-held Kashmir on Sunday.

More than 270 rebels have been killed in intensified operations led by the Indian army since previous year, officials say. The troops used brute force and fired bullets, pellets and teargas shells.

The encounter broke out after the security were carrying out search operation in the area.

A curfew was ordered in the capital on Sunday and mobile internet services were shut down in much of the Indian-administered region.

Later Tuesday, separatists called on Kashmiris to resume their businesses and reopen schools starting Wednesday.

Since past year, gun battles between government forces and pro-independence fighters seeking an end to Indian rule in the disputed valley have become more frequent. Thousands who came out in support of the militants shouted slogans calling for Kashmir's independence from India and threw stones at heavily-armed Indian forces.

  • Leroy Wright