Barcelona attack's van driver shot dead by police
- Author: Salvatore Jensen Aug 24, 2017,
Aug 24, 2017, 18:45
The Aug. 17 attack was on Las Ramblas - a mostly pedestrian street.
Isis claimed responsibility for the Barcelona attack as well as a separate deadly assault hours later in the coastal resort town of Cambrils, south of Barcelona.
Eight other members of the alleged cell are dead - some killed in an explosion, others shot by police.
Islamic State claimed responsibility for the Barcelona attack along with another vehicle attack on Friday in which a auto crashed into people in the resort town of Cambrils, Spain, and the attackers then got out and tried to stab people.
A house exploded in Alcanar, Spain, on August 16.
Officials believe the driver of the auto, who fled, may be connected to the Barcelona attack.
Abouyaaqoub was wearing a fake explosive belt, Spain's anti-terrorist sources were quoted as saying.
Photo The four suspects charged with terrorism offenses in a Madrid court on Tuesday included, from left, Mohamed Houli Chemlal, Driss Oukabir, Sahal el Karib and Mohammed Aalla.
Authorities had previously confirmed that the suspects, all of Moroccan origin, had been planning a far larger attack than the one that took place.
Abouyaaqoub fled the scene on foot before later stabbing a man to death and taking his auto to escape, police in Catalonia said on Friday, Reuters reports. That ended in a shootout with police, who killed five attackers.
French media said on Saturday the vehicle had been found near Barcelona.
All 15 of the people killed in last week's terrorist attack in Barcelona have been identified, according to the Agence France Press news agency.
Two are believed to have died in the Alcanar blast: the former imam of Ripoll Abdelbaki Es Satty and Youssef Aallaa.
But Catalan official Joaquim Forn told local radio: "Everything suggests the van driver is Younes Abouyaaqoub".