[Newsmaker] Qatar says Saudi-led ultimatum unreasonable
- Author: Joanne Flowers Jun 25, 2017,
Jun 25, 2017, 22:03
In his strongest statement of support for Qatar in the almost three-week-old crisis centered on the Gulf state, Erdogan said the call to withdraw Turkish forces was disrespectful and that Doha - which described the demands as unreasonable - was taking the right approach.
Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday dubbed the demands made by Saudi Arabia and three other nations to Doha to end a blockade as "an attack to Qatar's sovereignty right".
Qatar said on Saturday that a 13-point list of demands made by Saudi Arabia and its allies impinged on its sovereignty and failed to meet US expectations that they be "reasonable".
Speaking outside a mosque in Instanbul, he said: "We approve and appreciate the attitude of Qatar against the list of 13 demands".
Thani said the demands are not "reasonable and actionable" - two criteria laid down by the U.S. State Department this week in an attempt to mediate the dispute.
In a sign of support, the Turkish parliament swiftly ratified a 2014 military agreement with Qatar earlier this month, allowing the deployment of troops to its base there.
"We are reviewing these demands out of respect for. regional security and there will be an official response from our ministry of foreign affairs", Sheikh Yusuf Bin Ahmed reportedly said.
The 13-point list of demands from Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bahrain and the UAE include closing the Al Jazeera satellite television network, curbing relations with Iran, shutting a Turkish base in Doha and paying reparations.
Turkey has a military base in Qatar that now houses about 90 Turkish soldiers.
"This approach of 13 demands is against global law because you can not attack or intervene in the sovereignty of a country".
Staff members of Al Jazeera International work at the news studio in Doha, Qatar.
Acting as a mediator, Kuwait has presented Qatar a long-awaited list of demands from Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt, four Arab nations that cut ties with Qatar in early June, 2017.
That offer was rejected by Riyadh which said a Turkish military base would not be welcome and "not needed".
Qatari transport minister Jassim Saif Al Sulaiti told Reuters that the Gulf state wants the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) to open international air routes over Gulf waters now managed by the UAE.
The four countries have not provided any evidence, and Qatar has repeatedly denied the allegations as baseless.
Erdoğan also said that he was in a good condition after shortly fainting due to low blood sugar after the Eid prayer finished.