More than 200000 suspected cholera cases in Yemen

After reporting more than 7,000 additional cholera cases in the past day, health officials report the case tally in the Yemen epidemic has reached 200,420 suspected cholera cases, including 1,310 deaths since April. 27.

The representative added that all of the 21 governorates in Yemen are infected, with children accounting for almost half of the cases.

She said that children had been hit hard by the outbreak, accounting for half of the registered cases to date.

Already more than 1,300 people have died - one quarter of them children - and the death toll is expected to rise.

According to World Health Organization figures, about 7.6 million Yemenis live in regions with a high risk of transmission of this bacterial disease that is transmitted by consumption of food or contaminated water.

UNICEF said that although cholera is a relatively easy disease to treat, the ongoing conflict adds major difficulties in controlling it.

In 2015, Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies launched a massive air campaign aimed at reversing Houthi military gains and shoring up Yemen's embattled government. In a press briefing in Geneva, Spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Ravina Shamdasani, said: "During the more than two years since the conflict in Yemen began, marketplaces have been struck a number of times, causing loss of civilian lives". The conflict, now raging into its third year, has decimated the infrastructure and health facilities of the country, which has been described by the United Nations as the poorest in the Arab region.

The country has suffered an economic collapse in two years of fighting which has left 19 million people in need of humanitarian aid.

"This is the largest humanitarian crisis happening in the world at the moment", WFP spokeswoman Bettina Luescher told reporters.

  • Joanne Flowers