London attackers wore fake bomb belts

A woman views floral tributes to the victims of the terrorist attack on London Bridge and Borough Market one week after the incident, Saturday, June 10, 2017.

London #Metropolitan Police on Saturday released photos of the fake belts and other information relating to the attackers. "He has been taken into custody at a south London police station and is detained under the Terrorism Act", the Met Police statement said.

UK Police have released pictures of the London attackers' fake suicide gear, made of plastic water bottles duct taped to leather belts.

The attack could have been even worse, officials said.

After leaving the vehicle, the terrorists used 12in ceramic knives with pink blades in a stabbing spree.

"But we also have some quite volatile individuals who go from having what you and I would regard as utterly vile extremist views to being motivated to carry out an attack".

In France, Paris Prosecutor Francois Molins said the man who attacked a policeman with a hammer outside Notre Dame Cathedral was a self-radicalized loner with a deep interest in Daesh (ISIS) propaganda.

Police Commander Dean Haydon speculated that the bloodthirsty zealots might have worn bomb props "as protection from being shot themselves".

Authorities also found 13 wine bottles filled with flammable liquid and rags wrapped around them and two blow torches inside the wrecked van, suggesting the suspects may have planned to use firebombs in the attack.

After his payment was declined, Butt and his two accomplices rented a smaller van that they used to plow into crowds before they leapt from the vehicle and went on a stabbing rampage in an attack that left eight people dead and almost 50 people injured.

The belts, created to look like real explosives, consisted of three disposable water bottles covered in masking tape that were then attached to the belt.

The images of the three belts were released to the public on Sunday morning. Armed police shot dead the three attackers just eight minutes after the first phone call from the public.

Detectives have so far spoken to 262 people from 19 different countries and, of these, 78 are considered significant witnesses although officers are appealing for more to come forward.

A week after the atrocity, people returned to the Borough Market area on Saturday night - but the market is expected to stay closed for a few more days as police continue their investigation.

  • Zachary Reyes