Afghan soldier wounds 7 US soldiers in insider attack
- Author: Leroy Wright Jun 25, 2017,
Jun 25, 2017, 13:23
The attack, responsibility for which has been claimed by the Taliban, began around 7.30 am IST, when one bomber detonated a auto packed with explosives at the gate of the police headquarters, an Afghan interior ministry spokesperson said.
The shootout at Camp Shaheen near northern Mazar-i-Sharif city is the second "green-on-blue" attack - where Afghan soldiers turn their weapons on global forces assisting them - reported this week.
The U.S. military would confirm only that U.S. soldiers were wounded in an insider attack that occurred there at about 2 p.m., and that an Afghan soldier had been killed and another wounded. Western officials say most insider attacks stem from personal grudges and cultural misunderstandings rather than insurgent plots.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.
An Afghan soldier was killed and another wounded. Mr Araam said the soldiers returned fire and killed the attacker. Tabasim said one of the attackers detonated his suicide vest inside the compound.
That attack came just days after three US soldiers were killed and another wounded during a joint US-Afghan military operation in the same region.
The latest attack comes at a time when the Pentagon is planning to send nearly 4,000 additional troops to Afghanistan, hoping to break a stalemate in the 16-year war, the Associated Press reported, citing an unidentified official. In April, Taliban fighters dressed in Afghan army uniforms passed through several security rings to enter a base in northern Afghanistan's Balkh province and kill as many as 140 Afghan soldiers.
Since peaking at a force of about 100,000 troops, some 8,400 USA service members remain in Afghanistan after most North Atlantic Treaty Organisation forces pulled out in 2014.
There are about 8,500 US troops and 5,000 North Atlantic Treaty Organisation forces in Afghanistan.