Grenfell Tower blaze sparked by faulty fridge

Metropolitan Detective Superintendent Fiona McCormack, who is overseeing the investigation, released the information on Friday.

Witnesses to the tower fire had said one resident claimed his appliance had begun the blaze. Work at the scene of the fire is "difficult and distressing", but search teams are endeavoring to recover everything possible so it can be returned to victims' families and survivors.

"We are looking at every criminal offense from manslaughter onwards, we are looking at every health and safety and fire safety offenses and we are reviewing every company at the moment involved in the building and refurbishment of Grenfell Tower", she said.

Police said both the insulation and tiles used in cladding at the Grenfell Tower block failed all post-fire safety checks.

"With the rest of the nation, Arsenal Football Club was shocked by the incident at Grenfell Tower and our hearts go out to all those affected by this tragedy", Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis said.

"We are working with the authorities to obtain access to the appliance so that we can assist with the ongoing investigations".

Scotland Yard has raised concerns with the Government over the fridge-freezer, but said the FF175BP model had never been subject to a product recall.

Buildings in London, Manchester and Plymouth are among those where problem cladding has been identified.

"Preliminary tests show the insulation samples collected from Grenfell tower combusted soon after the test started", McCormack said.

In total, 151 homes were destroyed in the fire, May said. So far, 164 properties have been found to house displaced residents and are now undergoing inspection, she added.

The overnight fire rapidly engulfed Grenfell Tower, with flames shooting up the outside of the building, raising concerns that the cladding material attached to the concrete block didn't comply with fire-safety rules.

"We have also listened to over 600 emergency 999 calls made to the fire brigade, ambulance service and police to understand the events of that night", McCormack said. The council said it had told the contractor that installed the panels it was taking urgent legal advice. "I still am shocked, but along with the other residents I'm suffering a combination of shock and anger".

As of Friday, nine victims have been formally identified. Those made homeless will get a "fresh start" grant of £10,000 once they are permanently rehoused, it said.

  • Salvatore Jensen