Text Message Antonio Conte Sent To Diego Costa Revealed
- Author: Julie Sanders Jun 21, 2017,
Jun 21, 2017, 1:04
It's suggested that Romelu Lukaku is close to sealing a £70m move to Stamford Bridge, thus why Conte sent that well-publicised text to Diego Costa last week informing him that he didn't form part of his plans at Chelsea moving forward.
Costa has publicly expressed his desire to return to Atletico, whom he departed for Chelsea in 2014, but the La Liga side are banned from signing new players until 2018.
"Atletico is among them, it would not mean not playing, they can loan me out to some team in Spain, Brazil or wherever, but I have to play".
When asked about his future at the club, the 28-year-old told Spanish television: "I don't know".
Costa's career at Chelsea is all but over after the Spain worldwide recently revealed that Antonio Conte told him he was surplus to requirements via text.
Costa was omitted from Chelsea's squad in January after he was engaged in a dispute with the club's fitness coach and later linked with a move to Chinese club, Tianjin Quanjian. Despite that speculation, Conte managed to keep Costa's head in the game. "In life there are good and bad people".
Yet Chelsea have made clear to the Spaniard that he will not be permitted to negotiate his own exit and, instead, the club will take the lead in overseeing the departure of a player whose contract has two years to run.
The French midfielder is said to be keen to join the Premier League champions with AS Monaco said to be willing to sanction the transfer for a fee of around €40m (£35.12m, $44.7m). "If it was a fair fight [for a starting position], I would consider staying, but if it's not I have to leave". Besides, a move to a rival club might well be appealing considering that Costa may be a little spiteful for the way Conte conveyed the information to him.
"It would be great to go back but the World Cup is fast approaching and I need to be active in the field".
"But if he doesn't want me there, then I will have to look for a new team".
The 2016/17 Premier League winners are also said to be hoping to add a bit more steel to their defence, and have identified the Juventus duo of Sandro and Bonucci as ideal recruitments.
"The aim was to get the three points and we knew it was going to be hard". To be honest, now, I find it very hard.