Man 'neutralised' after bomb attack on Brussels train station
- Author: Carolyn Briggs Jun 21, 2017,
Jun 21, 2017, 8:58
Brussels, Belgium is the site of yet another terror attack- but this time, disaster was averted by police, who shot the suspect after a bomb explosion occurred in a Brussels train station, according to NBC News.
"This is considered as a terrorist attack", federal prosecutor's office spokesman Eric Van Der Sypt told a news conference outside the station. Agence France-Presse reported the suspect's death after an initial statement from a federal prosecutor simply stating the suspect had been "neutralized".
The man shouted "Allahu Akbar" in Arabic before the explosion according to an eyewitness quoted by Het Laatste Nieuws tabloid newspaper. Photos posted on social media showed a small fire in the station.
Belgian authorities say they have foiled a terror attack after soldiers shot dead a suspect following a small explosion at a busy Brussels train station.
Prime Minister Charles Michel and Interior Minister Jan Jambon are following the situation closely, government spokesman Frederic Cauderlier said.
Writing on Twitter he added: "Police now all over this like a rash but v impressed with private security guard with k9, he did the business securing the public".
A witness who was inside the station during the incident said he heard two explosions and then heard someone yell "Allahu Akbar" twice followed by heavy gunfire.
With Islamic State under pressure in Syria - where Belgium has been the most fertile European recruiting ground for foreign Islamist fighters - he said attacks in Europe could increase, although many would be by "amateurs" doing little harm.
The station and adjacent historic downtown area, including the baroque Grand Place city square, had been packed with tourists and locals on a hot summer evening before they were evacuated. I went down and alerted my colleagues to evacuate everyone.
Prime Minister Charles Michel after consulting with his security advisers chose to maintain the national alert at its second highest level and convened a National Security Council meeting for early Wednesday.
Belgium suffered a further shock last August when a machete-wielding man shouting "Allahu akbar" attacked two policewomen in the industrial town of Charleroi, before being shot dead.
She said medics were unable to attend to him for several hours out of fear he could be carrying explosives. "I saw that he had something on him because I could see wires emerging, so it may have been a suicide vest".
Brussels was the scene of a triple suicide bombing March 22, 2016.
The metro lines 1 and 5, which pass through the station, were closed following police orders.