Pregnant woman fatally shot by officers after reporting burglary, brandishing knife

According to the Washington Post, Charleena is the third black woman to be killed by police officers in the United States this year, and the second one who was pregnant.

#CharleenaLyles was pregnant, called the police to report a burglary.

"Why couldn't they have Tased her?".

Police in the western USA state of Washington were under scrutiny yesterday after a pregnant woman was fatally shot by officers responding to a burglary call.

"Get back! Get back!" an officer says, and a woman's voice responds, "Do it!"

Officers: Get back! Get back!

- Because of the previous incident, police considered her an "officer hazard", which is why two officers were dispatched to take her burglary report.

Murray added that she often heard yelling coming from Lyles' unit and has called the complex's security multiple times due to disturbances in the apartment.

"There were several children inside the apartment at the time of the shooting, but they were not injured", it said.

Her sister Monika Williams said Ms Lyles had mental health problems, "but that's no reason for her to be shot". Charleena's family also believes her race played a part in her death.

Police reportedly offered aid immediately after the shooting, but Seattle Fire Department medics declared Lyles dead upon arrival.

"After talking with Lyles' family, we learned that Lyles has experienced a recent sudden and rapid decline in her mental health", Lim wrote.

They also talk about the woman making "weird statements" about her and her daughter turning into wolves.

One officer suddenly says, "Step back, step back!" They killed her in her home in front of her 3 children.

In a statement released with the audio, police noted that both officers were equipped with "less lethal force options". The other officer responded, "I don't have a Taser".

Seattle Municipal Court records show that Lyles was arrested June 5 and booked into King County Jail.

Police Chief Kathleen O'Toole said the shooting will be investigated.

The officers who shot her are on paid leave, following standard police procedure.

Family members expressed disbelief at the police response, noting that officers had had contact with Lyles before. What's not yet clear is whether the officers had the time or physical space to use de-escalation techniques, and whether the presence of children influenced the decision to use deadly force. She was released days later on the condition that she receive mental health counseling, according to Williams.

The department entered into a federal consent decree after a 2011 Justice Department probe found officers wielded force "in an unconstitutional manner".

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray has promised a full investigation of the shooting, which he referred to as "a tragedy for all involved". The apartment building where the shooting took place was roped off with caution tape, but residents could file in and out through a side entrance. Erneshia Jack, Charleena's cousin, said according to the Guardian.

  • Larry Hoffman