Netanyahu warns Iran after Syria missile strike
- Author: Carolyn Briggs Jun 20, 2017,
Jun 20, 2017, 22:54
Iran said its ballistic missile strike targeting ISIS in Syria also served as a warning to archrival Saudi Arabia and the United States, with a former Revolutionary Guard chief writing on Twitter that "The bigger slap is yet to come".
While the Revolutionary Guard in Tehran boasted that the seven missiles overflew Iraq on their way to hitting an Islamic State command center and suicide vehicle bomb operation in Deir el-Zour, Israeli observers called the launchings a "flop".
Earlier on Monday, Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) announced that the Sunday attack on the "terrorists" in Syria's eastern region of Deir ez-Zor had been coordinated with the Syrian government.
The launch, which hit Syria's eastern city of Deir el-Zour on Sunday night, appeared to be Iran's first missile attack overseas in over 15 years and its first in the Syrian civil war, in which it has provided crucial support to embattled President Bashar Assad.
The Iranian Foreign Ministry said on Monday that the Syrian government was "informed" of the missile attacks at Islamic State strongholds in eastern Syria.
Ya'ari said that three of the missiles crashed in Iraq, one landed a few hundred meters away from its intended target, one landed somewhere in the Deir Ezzor region, and the crash site of of one missile is still unknown. It was "a flop", said Yaari. "A failure." Still, "it photographed well". "The US administration should be held accountable for these remarks", Qassemi quoted Keshavarz-Zadeh as saying.
Analysts were saying that the Iranian missile launches were as much a message to the USA and Israel as they were to ISIS.
Iran has been boasting about the missile launches all day and released a number of videos.
In an address to the US House Foreign Affairs Committee last Wednesday, Tillerson claimed that Iran continues activities and interventions that destabilise the Middle East.
"Based on credible information, the missile operation against Daesh has been successful", Revolutionary Guards spokesman General Ramezan Sharif said on the elite force's Sepahnews website.
Rezaei also called the missile attacks "the message of Iran's authority" to "the supporters of terrorism".
Yesterday the IRGC fired six Zolfaghar ballistic missiles into Syria. Ya'ari said they were a development of the Fateh missile type. Mohammadi also wrote that the strikes show that ties between IS fighters in Syria and Iraq can now be targeted.
The missiles successfully hit the targets, Sharif said.
Today an IRGC general said that yesterday's launch hit ISIS assets and signaled Iran could target the USA and its regional allies.