London fire: Number of dead and missing rises to 79, police say
- Author: Salvatore Jensen Jun 20, 2017,
Jun 20, 2017, 22:16
Grief over a high-rise tower blaze that killed dozens of p.
Screengrab taken from video issued by the Metropolitan Police of footage inside Grenfell Tower in west London.
Labour Party lawmaker David Lammy said that the government and the police should immediately seize all documents relating to the building's renovation to prevent the destruction of evidence that could show criminal wrongdoing.
"There is considerable damage within Grenfell Tower", he said.
Official data suggests the Kensington and Chelsea borough has more empty properties than any other borough in London, numbering almost 1,400 properties classified as "long-term vacant" or empty for more than six months.
An older photo from the Grenfell Tower fire site shows firemen examining the gutted building.
London police say that the number of dead or missing in the high-rise apartment building fire is now 79.
Two British officials said Sunday that new exterior cladding used in a renovation of Grenfell Tower may have been banned under United Kingdom building regulations. He says it will take weeks or longer to recover and identify all the dead at the building.
"Family liaison officers are supporting families, and that includes those people we know to be dead; some of those who are crucially ill and sadly those people who we have been told were in Grenfell Tower that night who we have been unable to trace".
A lawyer for the family told CNN that Trevisan spoke with her parents before she died, telling them: "I am going to heaven".
Over the past few days, another five people who had been reported missing in the fire have been found to be safe and well, Cundy said, saying he's "so grateful" for the news.
While the blaze has prompted an outpouring of generosity, with many people donating provisions and clothes, it has also unleashed rage at the authorities as the charred tower was cast as a deadly symbol of a deeply divided society.
Police have confirmed that the fire has resulted in at least 30 fatalities but according to other reports, the number of deaths could be more than 70.
"I was in there myself and went all the way to the top floor and it is incredibly hard", he said, before pausing as tears welled up in his eyes.
Public anger has been mounting over the British government's handling of the blaze, with Prime Minister Theresa May admitting that the response from authorities had not been good enough.
While they welcomed the funding, a group of residents who met Mrs May in Downing Street at the weekend said they had not been consulted before the latest announcement, adding that it continued a "tendency to sideline residents' views". She has since announced additional support and a 5-million-pound relief fund for the rehabilitation of the victims. Cundy said he would be "looking at all criminal offenses that might have been committed by any individual or any organization".
She said: "Although I'm only 26, I'm quite headstrong and will be able to get through this".
A minute's silence is to be held at 11:00 BST across all government buildings to remember the people who lost their lives and all those affected by the fire.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan suggested the fire followed "years of neglect".
Nick Paget-Brown, the Tory leader of Kensington and Chelsea council, said there were officials on the ground "very soon" after the fire broke out to help residents, but he sidestepped questions over whether he feels guilty about what happened.
The cause of Wednesday's blaze is still under investigation, but anger has mounted in the community amid reports that exterior paneling may have spread the flames. British officials have ordered a review of other buildings that have had similar renovations.