Iran arrests nearly 50 after deadly Tehran attacks

President Donald Trump is suggesting that Iran bears some culpability for attacks in its capital that killed at least 12 people.

The Intelligence Ministry said on June 8 that five men involved in the attacks were Iranians who joined IS in Iraq and Syria.

In the wake of the attacks, Iran's powerful Islamic Revolutionary Guard also released a statement implying that the USA and Saudi Arabia were to blame.

The information added that in the raids were also confiscated "many documents and weapons" that were in the hands of the individuals to whom the authorities linked them with "Wahhabi cells", referring to the predominant Sunni Islamic conservative doctrine in Saudi Arabia.

The assaults have further fueled tension between Riyadh and Tehran as they vie for control of the Gulf and influence in the wider Islamic world.

Iran is a key fighting force against ISIS and other groups in Iraq and Syria, and the Sunni jihadists consider Shiite Muslims to be apostates. "The terrorists first went by auto to the mausoleum and after dropping two of them off, went to the city centre to attack parliament", the police said.

The authorities of Iran, according to Reuters, on this attack, said that ISIS had recruited 5 Iranian nations.

According to a statement by Iran's Intelligence Ministry, the attackers behind the first Islamic State (IS) bombing inside Iran's borders have been identified.

During a televised interview on Saturday, Iranian Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi said that the terrorist commander was killed earlier in the day by intelligence forces. Trump's statement is "counter-productive and further narrows the opportunity for engagement between the U.S. and Iran on countering a common enemy", said Ellie Geranmayeh, senior fellow with the European Council on Foreign Relations.

Police, who said they were holding six suspects as part of their investigation into the attacks, also increased their patrols in the streets and subway stations of Tehran on Thursday. All five perpetrators were Iranian nationals. However, it stopped short of directly blaming the kingdom for the attack, though many in the country expressed suspicion Iran's regional rival had a hand in the attack.

Dozens of suspects have been arrested since the attacks on Wednesday killed 17 people in the first assault in Iran to be claimed by the Islamic State jihadist group.

During a massive funeral ceremony in Tehran following Friday prayers, thousands chanted "Down with the U.S." and "Death to Al-Saud", the Saudi royal family, while carrying coffins of victims.

  • Leroy Wright