UK Government scrambles to limit fallout from London fire
- Author: Leroy Wright Jun 19, 2017,
Jun 19, 2017, 9:57
This 58 include the 30 already confirmed dead, according to Cundy.
Protesters in London accused authorities of suppressing the true death toll, an idea that has spread on social media.
"I have heard the concerns and I have ordered immediate action across the board to help victims' relatives and the survivors", May said.
May also said phone lines would be better staffed and more staff would be deployed in the area.
The first victim to be identified was Mohammed Alhajali, a 23-year-old Syrian refugee.
After hosting some of the families of the victims and community leaders in No 10 yesterday, Mrs May acknowledged the response from authorities had been inadequate.
"People raised these concerns, people were expressing issues regarding the safety and unsafe living conditions", says Lancaster West Residents Association chairwoman Olesea Matcovschi.
Asked repeatedly whether she had misread the public mood, May did not answer directly but said the focus was on providing support to the victims. "Government and ministers will cooperate fully", she said.
The tragedy cast a pall on the Trooping the Color festivities that mark the official birthday of Queen Elizabeth II.
But in a television interview on Sunday he went further, calling on people to "occupy" them.
Around 70 people are missing, according to Britain's Press Association, and identification of the victims is proving very hard.
Writing in the Observer newspaper, Khan says it may well be the "defining outcome of this tragedy that the worst mistakes" of that era become a thing of the past.
He told BBC Radio 4's The World at One: "I feel like everybody else traumatised by the enormity of the tragedy that overtook North Kensington in the early hours of Wednesday morning". They'll also be consulted on the public inquiry into the disaster announced earlier.
He said: "The conditions due to the fire damage verge on indescribable, which is why this will be such a lengthy operation taking weeks to complete". They say their complaints were ignored - and fear it was because the tower housed mainly poor people in a hugely wealthy neighbourhood.
Many survivors are sleeping on the floor in community centers and there's still no coordinated distribution of donated food and clothing.
Greg Hands told Sky News that "my understanding is that the cladding that was reported was not in accordance with United Kingdom building regulations". We know that there are still bodies of those who died inside the building and we want to return those people to their families as soon as we possibly can.
An additional public inquiry set up by the government will determine if building regulations had been broken.
Dozens of people were still missing three days after the 24-storey Grenfell Tower was engulfed in flames, and worries over the safety of the apartment block's charred wreck has slowed the search for human remains.
Two Underground lines near the fire area were partially shut down on Saturday to make sure that debris did not land on the tracks.