Seven GIs among eight wounded in Afghanistan shooting
- Author: Salvatore Jensen Июн 18, 2017,
Июн 18, 2017, 21:22
A spokesman for Resolute Support in Afghanistan said in a statement that all seven soldiers were medically evacuated and "are being cared for". The attacker was shot and killed when soldiers returned fire.
Afghanistan's Ministry of Defense is investigating the attack, says Abdul Qhahar Aram, head of strategic communication and public affairs for the 209 Shahin Corps. The attack Saturday at Camp Shaheen left seven American soldiers wounded, according to officials with the NATO-led mission in the country.
Tabassoom added that there were no civilian casualties as the attack took place in the early morning.
On June 11 the insurgents claimed responsibility for a similar attack in which an Afghan soldier killed three USA soldiers and wounded a fourth in the eastern province of Nangarhar.
The Resolute Support mission announced on its Twitter feed that "U.S. soldiers have been wounded" but said there were no USA fatalities.
Special forces soldiers in the Afghan army, generally referred to as commandos, are much more highly trained than regular troops and work in proximity to USA soldiers, including serving as partners in ground combat operations, as well as in training exercises.
In a statement, the Taliban greeted a "patriot soldier who carried out an attack, killing and wounding six American soldiers" without specifying whether this assailant, a member of the armed forces, came from their ranks.
North Atlantic Treaty Organisation said an investigation into the incident has been launched.
United States troops in Afghanistan now number about 8,400, with another 5,000 from North Atlantic Treaty Organisation allies, who mainly serve in a training and advisory capacity.
The US defence secretary James Mattis said last week that he would present a new US military strategy for Afghanistan, along with adjusted troop numbers, in the coming weeks to president Donald Trump.