Obama-Era Plan for Undocumented Parents Rescinded by the US

The Trump administration is canceling an Obama-era policy to allow millions of undocumented immigrant parents of US-born children to stay in the country.

US Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly signed a memorandum on Thursday rescinding an Obama-era plan to spare some illegal immigrant parents of children who are lawful permanent residents from being deported, the department said in a statement.

That program was never implemented because a Texas court blocked it at the request of a coalition of 26 state attorneys general.

Homeland Security Secretary John F. Kelly made the decision announced Thursday after consulting with Attorney General Jeff Sessions "because there is no credible path forward to litigate the now enjoined policy", according to a statement from the department.

DHS also issued a statement announcing that DACA, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, program would remain intact.

"Their enforcement actions and policy decisions continue to create fear and anxiety in immigrant communities", she added.

During the campaign, Trump repeatedly said he would end the deferred deportation policy, calling it "amnesty". Their announcement to keep DACA, while revoking DAPA and deporting family members is deceitful and is another effort to keep immigrant families feeling uncomfortable about their place in America.

The DACA program effects some 800,000 people in the USA, shielding them from deportation and providing them with work permits so they can find legal employment.

Arrests of immigrants in the interior of the country have increased under the Trump administration, but deportations are slightly down as fewer people have been caught crossing the Mexican border into the United States illegally.

"The Trump administration's entire reaction, their [MO] on immigration is political", Corbett said. In the months following his election, Trump began to waver on DACA. That program deferred deportation actions against undocumented children, known as Dreamers, and extended work authorization permits for DACA-eligible recipients from two to three years. Data revealed last week by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services indicate that 17,000 new applicants were approved under the DACA program in the first quarter of 2017.

"There has been no final determination made about the DACA program, which the president has stressed needs to be handled with compassion and with heart", said Jonathan Hoffman, the Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs at the Department of Homeland Security, about the future of DACA.

  • Larry Hoffman