Man arrested in raid in connection with London attack
- Author: Leroy Wright Jun 18, 2017,
Jun 18, 2017, 14:59
The third terrorist behind the London Bridge attack was identified Tuesday as Youssef Zaghba, a Moroccan-Italian man arrested previous year on suspicion of trying to reach Syria, according to reports.
A 27-year-old was arrested on suspicion of the preparation of terrorist acts and a 33-year-old was arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply controlled drugs, police said.
Youssef Zaghba, who was named as the third attacker yesterday, had been flagged to British intelligence services after telling Italian police "I'm going to be a terrorist" when he was reportedly stopped trying to travel to Syria.
Zaghba, who was by himself and appeared "agitated", was carrying only a backpack and no additional luggage, according to reports.
One further man, arrested on suspicion of drugs and firearms offences, was bailed, the Metropolitan Police said. "The attack, the third in Britain in three months, has raised questions over the government's ability to protect Britain following cuts to police numbers in recent years".
Two days from a parliamentary election that has been upended by a van and knife attack that killed seven people in the heart of London, Prime Minister Theresa May's record on security dominated the campaign agenda on Tuesday.
The death toll from the London Bridge terror attack has risen to eight after police searching for French national recovered a body from the Thames near Limehouse.
Zaghba, Butt and Redouane drove a hired van into pedestrians on London Bridge at 21:58 BST before stabbing people in the area around Borough Market.
"However, there was no intelligence to suggest that this attack was being planned and the investigation had been prioritized accordingly", he said.
The Islamic State terror group has claimed responsibility for the atrocity, which sparked fears that Britain is in the grip of a wave of copycat incidents.
The Metropolitan Police opened a casualty bureau for those anxious about the whereabouts of people they know. The assailants killed eight people and wounded 48 others.
Rachid Redouane, age 30, killer number two, was given the identity of a Moroccan-Libyan pastry chef by his European wife on their child's birth certificate and had an Irish identity card, although he was apparently "not known to Irish police".
The twin terror attacks that shook London and the United Kingdom late on the night of June 3 could have been prevented, it has emerged.
The number of police officers in England and Wales fell by nearly 20,000 between 2010 and 2016 - years when May, as home secretary, was in charge of policing.