London fire: 58 presumed dead, say police
- Author: Salvatore Jensen Jun 18, 2017,
Jun 18, 2017, 22:29
Shouting "Killers!" and "We want justice", dozens of people stormed the town hall in London's richest borough on Friday, accusing the authorities of ignoring the plight of the victims of the Grenfell Tower block blaze.
One member of Parliament has called for corporate manslaughter charges after learning flammable material was used to clad the building during a recent renovation.
A demonstrator shouts during a march in Westminster, following the fire that destroyed the Grenfell Tower block in London on June 16.
Firefighters raged against the inferno for more than 24 hours and the frantic fight has left its mark.
She said: "Today is a traditional day of celebration".
The fire forced residents to flee through black smoke down the single stairwell, jump out of windows or even drop their children from the 120-apartment building. All the rest are homeless.
Cundy also said police would release photos and videos of the inside of the tower on Sunday.
British police said that 58 people were now assumed to have died in this week's blaze at a London tower block.
Police Commander Stuart Cundy said the number of 58 is based on reports from the public and may rise.
Mr Cundy has warned the search and recovery operation is going to take a "significant" amount of time - with both the police and the London Fire Brigade saying it will take weeks to complete.
The government is struggling to find temporary housing for people who lived in the 24-story tower. He says "my heart goes out to those affected".
Scotland Yard is leading the criminal investigation into the fire at Grenfell Tower to establish the exact cause of the fire.
"People raised these concerns, people were expressing issues regarding the safety and unsafe living conditions", says Lancaster West Residents Association chairwoman Olesea Matcovschi. A new sign was put up, removing that detail.
It took almost two hours to gain control of the conflagration, according to fire officials.
At least 58 people are dead or presumed dead after the blaze.
Two nearby Underground lines were partially shut down Saturday in the fire area to make sure that debris did not land on the tracks. Police have established a security cordon around the building to protect public safety and allow searchers easy access to the wrecked building.
A protest calling more effective action to help the survivors was staged in front of the Downing Street. Still, he said if people were protected by any surrounding furniture or debris, it's possible there might be some viable DNA.
In an interview on Friday, she sidestepped questions on whether she had misread the public mood.
The queen's official birthday is marked in June when the weather is often nicer than in April, the actual month of her birth.
He said: "Sadly, as I've said before, we always knew the number of those that have died would increase".
NHS England says the injured are being treated in four London hospitals.
Londoners and others have also donated huge amounts of food, water and clothing, and shelter, to survivors. More than $3.8 million has been raised for the victims.
It is in no small part a response - solicited or otherwise - to the anguish, anger and demands for answers of a traumatised neighbourhood barely embarked on the long journey to coming to terms with the trauma.
"My understanding is that the cladding that was reported wasn't in accordance with United Kingdom building regulations", Hands told Sky News. Earlier in the day, the 91-year-old monarch described the country's mood as "somber" but insisted that Britain remained resolute during a hard time.
The government has promised a full public inquiry, but that has done little to a sense of frustration at the lack of information about how the fire moved so quickly to engulf the building.
Sixteen "very ordinary people" sat in Downing Street to bring their concerns to Theresa May in an "unprecedented" meeting and finally felt they were listened to, the Bishop of Kensington, Dr Graham Tomlin said.