Queen Elizabeth II visits relief centre for victims of tower block inferno
- Author: Salvatore Jensen Jun 17, 2017,
Jun 17, 2017, 12:05
Mrs May spent nearly an hour speaking to patients and staff at London's Chelsea and Westminster Hospital on Friday, a day after visiting the scene of the blaze in west London to talk to firefighters, police and other emergency workers. Police have said that some bodies may never be identified and that they hope the final death toll is not in the "triple digits".
"We know that at least 30 people have died as a result of this fire", Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy told reporters on Friday, adding that the blaze did not appear to have resulted from arson.
Scotland Yard has launched a criminal inquiry into the fire as it has emerged that the type of cladding panels used on the building have been widely prohibited on tall structures in the USA since 2012 because of its flammability.
Meanwhile, experts have said sprinklers could have been fitted in the tower for £200,000, but Nick Paget-Brown, the Tory leader of Kensington and Chelsea Council, said there was not a "collective view" among residents in favour of installing them. 24 people are still in hospital, 12 of them in critical care, according to the police. The monarch has expressed her sympathies to families of victims of the blaze. I feel very angry that it was possible for the fire to spread in the way it did.
He said there was no immediate evidence to suggest it had been started deliberately.
They told The Champion: "Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service carries out inspections of high rise premises every three years under the Regulatory Reform Order".
It's unclear exactly how many residents were inside the building at the time.
Right now people want answers and that's why I am today ordering a full public inquiry into this disaster.
The visit can be seen as a response to the anger of residents from the west London neighborhood because May had visited the scene of the fire without meeting victims.
Many people from the lower floors had a chance to escape the Grenfell Tower inferno, including some who were alerted by Muslim residents who were awake for their early-morning suhoor dinner - a meal eaten before fasting during the holy month of Ramadan.
Residents said they had been complaining for years about lax standards while aspects of a recent $13 million refurbishment to the building have fallen under suspicion of allowing the fire to spread more rapidly than expected.
She said: "We tried the door but it was too hot".
The Prime Minister's new chief of staff Gavin Barwell had allegedly failed to review the safety during his tenure as housing minister, despite it already having been delayed for years.
A spokeswoman for Barnet Homes, which manages around 15,000 properties on behalf of Barnet Council, said there were ten blocks of flats in Barnet which had an external cladding system covering five or more floors.