Police Arrest 6 in Actions Directed against Terror in UK

Detectives investigating the London Bridge attack have arrested a man in Ilford, east London, on suspicion of terror offences.

The 29-year-old man was arrested in the early hours of Friday morning on suspicion of being involved in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.

All three men were shot dead at the scene of the attack by officers within eight minutes of police receiving the first emergency call.

Youssef Zaghba, 22, the son of an Italian mother and Moroccan father, was reportedly stopped at Italy's Bologna Guglielmo Marconi Airport past year as he was headed to Syria via Turkey.

Butt had appeared in a documentary "The Jihadis Next Door" and was known to investigators but police said he was not believed to be plotting an attack.

Police had previously arrested 12 people in the course of the investigation, but said Monday those 12 had all been released without any charges.

The 29-year-old man was detained in Newham, east London - the 18th person to be arrest in the inquiry.

The country's official terror threat level remains at "severe", one notch down from the highest.

He told Sky News: "People are going to look at the front pages today and they are going to say, 'How on earth could we have let this guy or possibly more through the net?" A search warrant is also being executed at an address in Barking.

Eighteen people remain in critical condition, police said. Subsequently, two of the attackers would be identified as Khuram Shazad Butt and Rachid Redouane.

It emerged that he was arrested a year ago trying to get into Syria, yet was still able to get into Britain, BBC reported. Because there have been calls made by a lot of very responsible people on this, who are very anxious that she was at the Home Office for all this time, presided over these cuts in police numbers and now is saying that we have a problem.

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack through its Amaq news agency.

French President Emmanuel Macron said Wednesday that a third French victim has been identified among those killed in the London Bridge van-and-stabbing attack in London.

Previous year the Pakistan-born British citizen appeared in a Channel 4 documentary, "The Jihadis Next Door", in which he is seen unfolding a black flag at a park.

Earlier on Wednesday France's Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian confirmed a second Frenchman had been killed in the attack.

  • Salvatore Jensen