Woman Raped by Roman Polanski to Ask Court to End Case
- Author: Leroy Wright Jun 16, 2017,
Jun 16, 2017, 5:47
"The trauma of the ordeal that followed was so great that, you know, the brief encounter with him that evening that was unpleasant just faded and paled", Samantha Geimer said outside the Los Angeles courtroom after delivering her first ever appeal to judge. Repeating what she previously wrote in a letter, Samantha again expressed feeling that her sexual assault case was continuously used by prosecutors as a means of furthering their own careers, as the mention of a defendant of Polanski's stature is apt to draw media attention. She said that she was exhausted of prosecutors using a crime committed against her used by them to further their careers.
Braun told Reuters he hopes the unsealed testimony would reveal the Polanski's plea deal which he wants to use as evidence to European authorities to rescind the worldwide arrest warrant against Polanski.
Samantha Geimer has long asked U.S. authorities to stop pursuing filmmaker Roman Polanski for having sex with her in 1977, when she was 13.
Polanski, now 83, has been a fugitive since he fled to France in 1978 on the eve of sentencing on a count of having unlawful sex with a minor, said The AP, after prosecutors had dropped charges that he drugged, raped and sodomized her.
The director - who is married to French actress Emmanuelle Seigner, with whom he has two children - has since refused to return without assurances that he would not serve additional time in prison.
If he were to drop the warrant for Polanski, 83, it would end a almost four-decade effort by authorities to have the director extradited.
Outside court, Geimer, now 54, told reporters it was the first opportunity she's had to come to court and made a decision to "take it because I thought it might be my last". "You don't have to fall apart to show that what happened to you was wrong". He stated if the director returned "for sentencing", the matter could be finished, possibly indicating that, while he sympathizes with Geimer, he might not agree to dismissing the case against Polanski.
Gordon said he would take Geimer's comments into consideration and did not issue an immediate ruling.
"Closure is something you deserve", he said.
"The Rosemary's Baby" director said he fled because the judge, who was handling his case decades ago, promised him he would serve 90 days of psychiatric evaluation, but was going to sentence him to 50 years in prison.
Geimer said she was offended by the way Polanski described it.
She does not see Polanski as a victim, she said, but has empathy for the way he's been treated.
Polanski contends he is the victim of judicial misconduct because the now-deceased judge who handled the case suggested in private remarks that he would not honor a plea agreement. Nicholson was not home at the time.
Geimer also played down the severity of what happened to her, saying Polanski had apologised and that they had exchanged emails in recent years.
According to CNN, for the first time in 40 years, the victim stood before a judge and asked him to drop the sexual offence case against the famed film director.
The Associated Press doesn't typically name victims of sex abuse, but Geimer went public years ago.
Gordon ruled in April that the French-Polish director could not cut a deal from overseas to return to the USA without serving more jail time.