At least 7 die, 66 injured in China kindergarten blast
- Author: Leroy Wright Jun 16, 2017,
Jun 16, 2017, 8:14
The explosion occurred in front of the gate of the Chuangxin Kindergarten at about 4:50 p.m., according to Fengxian police.
Two people were killed at the site of the explosion while five died in hospital.
Pictures circulating on Chinese social media showed about a dozen women and children lying on the ground in what appeared to be the immediate aftermath of the blast.
Officials from the city of Xuzhou, which administers the county, confirmed that seven people had died and said 66 had been injured in the explosion, nine of them seriously. The videos showed ambulances arriving and medics wheeling people into an emergency room.
It is the latest tragedy to strike a nursery in China in recent weeks.
A school bus in the eastern Shandong province caught fire last month, killing 11 children and the driver.
A massive explosion has ripped through the entrance to a kindergarten in China injuring dozens of children and adults.
It was unknown whether the blast was intentional, Fox News said, adding that children have been targeted in China, including attacks on schools in 2010 that killed 20 children and a knife attack previous year that injured seven children.
Most attacks in China are carried out with knives, axes or homemade explosives because of China's strict gun control.
State media reported that in 2014 a man killed three children and a teacher as wounded several others at a primary school which had refused to enrol his daughter.