Three US soldiers killed in Afghanistan attack; Taliban claims responsibility
- Author: Leroy Wright Jun 15, 2017,
Jun 15, 2017, 10:02
"American troops were killed when an Afghan member of army commando opened fire on them", Attaullah Khogyani told Al-Jazeera earlier in the day. A Taliban spokesman sent a text message to journalists Saturday claiming the alleged assailant was an "infiltrator" of the Afghan army.
American and Afghan forces have been working together over the past few months in order to battle the local ISIS terrorists in the country's Nangahar province. "The president and I have been briefed".
However, the Pentagon did not further provide details and said an investigation was on into the incident. In March, three American soldiers were wounded by an Afghan soldier at a base in Helmand province.
Three American servicemembers were killed in an attack in Nangarhar province in eastern Afghanistan on Saturday, June 10, 2017.
"When heroes fall, Americans grieve", Pence said.
Achin district is in the Nangarhar province of Afghanistan, east of Kabul.
The arrival of hundreds of US Marines - following the withdrawal of US troops three years ago - is part of the Nato-led effort to train and assist Afghan forces. The attacker was also killed. He said the Afghan soldier was killed after the attack.
Civilian casualties from both United States and Afghan air raids increased dramatically a year ago, according to the UN's most recent report on threats to civilians. ABC News also reports that there are now 8,400 American troops still in Afghanistan training Afghan forces and helping them in military operations.
A U.S. military spokesman in Afghanistan said: "We are aware of an incident in Eastern Afghanistan".
Reuters reported in late April that Trump's administration was carrying out a review of Afghanistan and conversations are revolving around sending between 3,000 and 5,000 USA and coalition troops to Afghanistan.