Quit Order: Osinbajo Meets South East Leaders
- Author: Zachary Reyes Jun 15, 2017,
Jun 15, 2017, 16:26
Acting President Yemi Osinbajo on Wednesday said there is urgent need to address the present agitations and proclamations in the country decisively because they can not be tolerated.
The meeting was sequel to the calls for secession by youths from different ethnic groups in the country resulting in a group of youths in the North asking Igbo to vacate the northern states before October 1.
He had also said the government will deal decisively with anyone who attempts to disrupt the peace of the country. It is also the aspiration of the Constitution to ensure a country in which, and I quote, "loyalty to the nation shall override sectional loyalties". We must address hate speeches that show intolerance.
Every stone thrown in the market place will hit targets that are not even intended.
"And I want to ensure that there is no doubt at all that it is the resolve of the government that none will be allowed to get away with making speeches that can cause sedition or that can cause violence especially because when we make these kinds of pronouncement and do things that can cause violence or destruction of lives and property we are no longer in control".
More recently, according to the Acting President, General Abubakar's contributions and intervention in midwifing a peaceful transition from a ruling party to an opposition party after the 2015 elections, reflects his deep sense of patriotism, service to nation and commitment to Nigeria's progress and development. For this reason we take extremely seriously our constitutional responsibilities as your government.
From left: Senate President Bukola Saraki; Acting President Yemi Osinbajo; Speaker, House of Representatives, Yakuku Dogara; national security adviser to the President, reetired Maj. Yemi Osinbajo, is now meeting with leaders from the South East to douse tension in regard to the quit order issued Igbos in the north by Arewa Youth Consultative Forum last week.
This was disclosed by the minister of information, Lai Mohammed, after the Federal Executive Council meeting yesterday at the presidential villa, Abuja. Generally very disquieting voices.
"At 4 p.m. today (Wednesday) he is going to address leaders from the South Eastern part of the country". So, there is no need for you to panic.
He urged Nigerians not to panic, saying there is no need for anybody to move from any part of the country because of the threat. "The security agencies are on top of the matter".