Police increase patrols in Tehran after Iran attacks
- Author: Leroy Wright Jun 13, 2017,
Jun 13, 2017, 2:27
The Revolutionary Guard Corps vowed to take revenge for the attacks, and said that there is a definitive link to the visit of U.S. President Donald Trump to Saudi Arabia in May, CNN reported.
The Intelligence Ministry also confirmed that five of the men involved in the attacks had previously fought for the Islamic State group.
Iran is one of the powers leading the fight against Islamic State forces in Iraq and Syria.
The statement released the names of terrorists as Abu Jahad, Ghayom, Fereidoun, Saryas and Ramin but to some social and security considerations their family names will not be revealed, APA reported citing IRNA.
"The five known terrorists. after joining the Daesh [IS] terrorist group, left the country and participated in crimes carried out by this terrorist group in Mosul and Raqa", the Intelligence Ministry said in a statement.
The attacks injured more than 40 people. We heard the attackers saying "Hold on" (in English) and continuing: "Thank the God..."
Two Sunni militant groups, Jaish al-Adl and Jundallah, have been also waging an insurgency in Iran, mostly in remote areas, for nearly a decade.
Saudi and Iranian leaders accuse each other of sponsoring militant groups. "The fact that Islamic State has claimed responsibility proves that they were involved in the brutal attack", a Guards statement said. But Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi on Thursday advised against rushing to conclusions while the investigation continued.
The violence began in midmorning when assailants with Kalashnikov rifles and explosives stormed the parliament complex where a legislative session had been in progress.
On Wednesday, armed attackers targeted both the Parliament and the mausoleum of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini in Tehran.
Larijani also criticized a Wednesday decision by the U.S. Senate to move forward on a new set of sanctions against Iran, including its elite Revolutionary Guards, a move that came on the same day as the Tehran attacks. Trump had said he prayed for the victims of attacks on June 7 that were claimed by Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), but added that "states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote". One of the attackers reportedly blew himself up inside as police surrounded the building.
While gunfire between the terrorists and the Iranian security forces continued, Amaq News Agency, known as the official news outlet of ISIS, published a short video from inside the Parliament.