IOS 11 will stop apps from begging you for reviews
- Author: Arturo Norris Jun 13, 2017,
Jun 13, 2017, 16:30
"Pepe Scream was rejected for violating section 1.1 of Apple's App Store Review Guidelines, which stipulates that apps can not "include content that is offensive, insensitive, upsetting, meant to disgust, or in exceptionally poor taste". In a newly published update to its App Store policies, the company will now allow voluntary tipping via virtual currency as in-app purchases that they will tax 30 percent.
Earlier, Apple curated content used to be changed once a week on Thursday with new sets of Apps and games on the App Store but that will be no longer case with iOS 11.
Chinese app-developers argue that users are simply showing their appreciation by tipping the authors of articles or other content or service providers, but Apple believes tipping is just like buying a song or a piece of video. The setup will see Apple take a 30% slice of the tip leaving the developers with 70%. These two apps also allowed people to give gifts to those content creators, so some apps have been showing these abilities for a while.
Apple is known to have an iron grip on what apps can or cannot do, however the policy for tipping was unclear. Apple now has a ban system that does not allow anything Pepe related on the app store.
In its latest guidelines Apple states "Apps may not include buttons, external links, or other calls to action that direct customers to purchasing mechanisms other than In-App Purchase". Medium's Johnny Lin stresses out in the said report that not all of that huge sum of money in necessarily legitimate as some developers are abusing Apple's in-app purchase feature, as well as the App Store search ads. More app developers will likely be offering the virtual currencies so that you can tip them if you want, and now we know Apple has it setup and is cool with it.
As Johnny Lin noted in his blog, from April 20 - June 7 it was one of the top 10 grossing apps in the US App Store.
Apple is putting a stop to app developers from endlessly spamming their users with review requests. Since there is no standard for the developers in terms of how much creators have to be tipped, it really is the free market at work and it should be interesting to see how it works out.