Trio detained by anti-terror police in east London following armed raids
- Author: Leroy Wright Jun 12, 2017,
Jun 12, 2017, 2:45
Three men have been arrested on suspicion of terror offences in east London following a series of raids involving armed police.
Police announced that they killed the attackers within eight minutes after receiving the first reports of the attack.
The suspect, identified as a 30-year-old man, was arrested on suspicion of "commission, preparation or instigation of terrorist acts", the Metropolitan Police said in a statement early Wednesday.
United Kingdom security was on high alert following the attack at London Bridge, in which eight people were killed and over 50 others injured when three assailants mowed down pedestrians on the bridge and then launched a stabbing rampage at the nearby Borough Market.
The third man, 29, was also arrested in Ilford late on Wednesday on suspicion of preparing terrorist acts.
All three suspects have been taken to a south London police station for questioning as detectives homes and businesses in Ilford.
So far, 21 people have been arrested as part of that investigation and 12 of them have been released without charge.
The Metropolitan Police said they had reviewed security ahead of the vote, putting in place a "specialist and highly flexible operation" which can be deployed as needed.
'Searches at the addresses are ongoing'.
Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said Butt was known to the security services, but there was no evidence of "attack planning" by him.
Footage seen by the Times showed the three terrorists, Butt, Rachid Redouane and Zaghba, meeting outside a gym in Barking, East London, days before the attack.