Poland condemns Iran terrorist attack
- Author: Leroy Wright Jun 12, 2017,
Jun 12, 2017, 21:34
Iranian leaders on Friday accused the United States and Saudi Arabia of supporting the Islamic State-claimed dual attacks that killed 17 people in Tehran this week, as thousands of Iranians attended a funeral ceremony for the victims.
"Iranian people reject such USA claims of friendship", he said, hinting in the tweet that the terror attacks were "backed by US clients".
Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards have pointed the finger at regional rival Saudi Arabia- a close U.S. ally-which Iran accuses of funding extremism and groups including IS.
Iran said Thursday that the five Iranians who killed 17 people in twin attacks in Tehran were Islamic State group members who had been to its strongholds in Iraq and Syria.
Iranians awoke Thursday to find increased security on the streets of the capital and an announcement that the death toll from the attack had risen by one to 13 with 52 wounded. One of the men speaks in the sorani Kurdish dialect common among Kurds in northeastern Iraq and northwestern Iran. He speaks out at length against Shiites and promises further attacks.
Iranian security officials counter that it is their regional rival Saudi Arabia - a close USA ally - that is responsible for funding and spreading the extremism that underpins ISIS.
Parliament was in session when assailants armed with Kalashnikov rifles and explosives stormed the building around mid-morning, said Deputy Interior Minister Mohammad Hossein Zolfaghari. State TV broadcast the ceremony live.
US President Donald Trump's response to the terrorist attacks in Iran has been denounced by Tehran as "repugnant".
Iran has indirectly suggested that Saudi Arabia, its major regional rival and a USA ally, played a role in the attack.
At the end of the video, he sent a message to the Saudi government.
As the funerals took place, Iranian authorities continued a widening crackdown.
Forty-three suspects were detained on Saturday and operations to identify and crush more "terrorists cells" were under way, Mr Alavi said.
"The people are both angry and concerned because we are the only country in the region that had remained safe from the vicious acts of terrorism", he said, noting officials disrupted several terrorist networks previous year.
"The five attackers were Iranians".
"Last year, they returned to Iran.to carry out terrorist attacks in the holy cities of Iran".
Iran accuses Saudi Arabia of funding hardline Sunni militants, including Islamic State, and in the wake of last week's attack pointed the finger at its regional rival.