Iran arrests more suspects after Tehran attacks
- Author: Arturo Norris Jun 12, 2017,
Jun 12, 2017, 7:46
The Islamic State claimed responsibility of the two attacks - a suicide bomb and gun assault.
Gorjizadeh said the terrorist incidents in Tehran showed the ignominy of the terrorists' mission, on the one hand, and the greatness of the Islamic establishment and the Iranian security forces, on the other.
Five attackers stormed Iran's parliament and a shrine to revolutionary leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini on Wednesday, setting off clashes with security forces and killing 17 people.
"We possess documents and information showing the direct supports by the USA imperialism for this highly disgusting stream in the region which has destroyed the Islamic countries and created a wave of massacres and clashes", Deputy Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mostafa Izadi said.
On Thursday, the Iranian Intelligence Ministry released the names of the five terrorists who were killed after carrying out the deadly attacks in Tehran.
In Wednesday's attacks no member of the parliament was killed as the attackers were unable to reach the main building.
The parliament hosted a funeral ceremony for the victims in Tehran on Friday attended by the top brass.
Alavi also added that the safe house used by the five terrorists who carried out the attacks in Tehran was discovered by security forces and the brother of one the terrorists, who according to the minister was even more risky, was caught by the intelligence forces.
During a televised interview on Saturday, Iranian Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi said that the extremist commander was killed earlier in the day by intelligence forces.
It added that the terrorists were detained in the Iranian provinces of Kermanshah, Kordestan, West Azarbaijan and Tehran.
"Six people who were certainly connected to Wednesday's terrorist attacks in Teheran were identified and arrested", Mr Aliakbar Garousi was quoted as saying by the Fars news agency.
On Friday, Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said the attacks would only increase Tehran's hatred against the USA and its Saudi Arabian "stooges". "After two of them disembarked, the others went to the center of Tehran and got out of the vehicle to carry out the Majlis operation", the police said in a statement.