All suspects arrested in connection with Manchester bombing freed without charge

An inquest into the deaths of the 22 people killed in the Manchester terror attack ruled that the bomb used was created to cause maximum damage.

In a statement on the latest developments in the fast-moving investigation, Jackson said on Sunday: "Hashem Abedi is now detained in Libya".

United Kingdom police want to speak to bomber Salman Abedi's younger brother Hashem, who has been detained in Libya.

Russ Jackson, head of counterterrorism policing for northwest England, said Sunday that police believe Abedi assembled the bomb himself, but it's unclear "whether he acted alone in obtaining the materials for the device".

Det Ch Supt Jackson said they had uncovered "a number of suspicious purchases" of materials, which could be used to make bombs, as well as contact with the attacker.

"We continue to appeal for the help of the public in tracking Abedi's movements and have released images of him and the auto to try and jog people's memories of sightings".

The Manchester-born bomber seemed "intent on committing the attack within days" of returning to Britain from Libya on 18 May, police said, as Abedi was captured on CCTV buying parts for the bomb, including nuts from a DIY store that were used as shrapnel.

'At 10.31pm on May 22 2017 a man subsequently identified as Salman Ramadan Abedi detected an improvised explosive device in the Manchester Arena complex in Manchester city centre, ' Detective Superintendent Jonathan Chadwick, the senior identification manager for the incident, told the hearing.

They said they had "found evidence of explosive material at several locations" after searching 29 premises that had links to Abedi.

Some of those arrested gave accounts of "innocent contact" with Abedi and police were "satisfied with these explanations".

A barrel which was stored inside the bomber's auto.

Scumbag Abedi most likely hand-made the deadly bomb which was "designed to kill and maim indiscriminately", a policeman told an inquest into the terror attack launched today.

Greater Manchester Police have issued the new images of Abedi, the white Nissan Micra he used and a barrel stored inside the auto.

A search is also continuing at a landfill site for a blue suitcase which may contain "crucial evidence" that the 22-year-old discarded after assembling the bomb.

More than 1,000 officers have so far been involved in the ongoing investigation, with 8,000 entries on police logging system and at least 700 devices, such as phones, seized for examination.

"This was a premeditated, calculated and vicious attack. We have a massive team still working flat out on it and there are critical lines of enquiry at home and overseas which we will relentlessly pursue".

  • Arturo Norris