Tehran attackers were ISIS recruits

Reportedly two guards, 10 government staffers and five civilians were killed in the attacks that simultaneously targeted the country's parliament and shrine of late founder of the Islamic Republic Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

Iran's foreign Minister has rejected Donald Trump's condolences for the deadly attacks in Tehran, calling the United States president's words "repugnant".

"The terrorists first went by the auto to the mausoleum and after dropping two of them, went to the city centre to attack the parliament", the police said in a statement published on state media.

Mohammad Javad Zarif in a tweet on Thursday called the comments on the attack in Tehran a day earlier "repugnant" and accused the US of supporting terror.

Earlier on Friday, Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said the attacks would only increase Tehran's hatred against the U.S. and its "stooges" including Saudi Arabia.

The statement contradicts claims by Iran's elite Republican Guard that Saudi Arabia was responsible for the attacks. "Such acts will have no other result than to reinforce hatred for the U.S. government and its agents in the region, like the Saudi (government)", Khamenei wrote in a message of condolence to the families of the dead.

The semi-official Tasnim news agency said on of the wounded people had died in hospital, bringing the death toll to 17.

Iran terror attack: A member of Iranian forces aims his weapon during an attack on the Iranian Parliament in central Tehran, Iran.

The Islamic State group claimed both attacks.

According to reports, Iran's intelligence ministry on Thursday announced the attackers were Iranian but had traveled to the insurgents' strongholds in Syria and Iraq.

He said anti-Iranian remarks by Saudi Arabia's foreign minister and US President Donald Trump are a "matter of disgrace" for them.

People take part in a funeral ceremony held in northeastern Iranian city of Bojnord on June 9, 2017 for the victims of a terrorist attack in Tehran.

He added that the "Iranian people reject such USA claims of friendship".

The assault marks the first attacks claimed by ISIL in Iran.

Meanwhile, President Trump's statement on the attack has prompted criticism in Iran.

The raids were the first claimed by Islamic State inside tightly controlled Iran, one of the powers leading the fight against the militants in Iraq and Syria.

The ministry also published pictures of their corpses. A woman suspected to be involved in the attack was arrested on Wednesday.

Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif hit back early Thursday at a White House statement reacting to the shooting.

  • Zachary Reyes