Arrest over London terror attack
- Author: Larry Hoffman Jun 10, 2017,
Jun 10, 2017, 19:53
Police on Tuesday named the third of the jihadis who killed seven people in a knife and van attack in London, someone an Italian prosecutor said had been flagged to British authorities as a potential risk after he moved to England a year ago.
A 27-year-old was arrested on suspicion of the preparation of terrorist acts and a 33-year-old was arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply controlled drugs, police said.
The 29-year-old man was detained in Newham, east London - the 18th person to be arrest in the inquiry.
The police have come under scrutiny following the identification of the attackers because one of them was known to the authorities.
The three, who were wearing fake suicide vests, were shot dead during the attack.
The assailants killed eight people and wounded 48 others.
Police have made more than a dozen arrests in the wake of the London Bridge attacks, but most have now been released without charge.
After police named two of the attackers and revealed that one was previously known to security agencies, May's Conservative Party faced further questions about her record overseeing cuts to police numbers.
The Islamic gym where Butt worked out said Tuesday they had seen nothing of concern during his time there.
An Italian newspaper said the third killer, Youssef Zaghba, 22, had been flagged to Britain as a possible militant by Italian authorities. We have had three horrific attacks and we have foiled five others.
A Met Police spokesperson told CNN that an investigation into Butt started in the summer of 2015, during which police received a call to the anti-terror hotline.
There were more than 100 people injured in the Manchester and London attacks combined. Authorities have said the London attack was apparently unconnected to the Manchester bombing.