Eighth person killed in London attack found in Thames river
- Author: Leroy Wright Jun 09, 2017,
Jun 09, 2017, 22:08
Police had been searching for Xavier Thomas, a French man who had been missing since three assailants ploughed a rented vehicle into crowds on London Bridge and attacked people in Borough Hall with knives on Saturday.
British police hunting for a Frenchman missing since Saturday's attack said earlier that they had found a body in the River Thames.
Scotland Yard said formal identification had not yet taken place, but Mr Thomas' next of kin had been informed.
Three terrorists wearing stab-proof vests drove a van into pedestrians at 50mph on London Bridge before attacking revellers with hunting knives.
After three deadly attacks in less than three months, police said they could hardly keep tabs on 3,000 people on the terror watch list and 20,000 who have been on the intelligence radar in the past, even with sweeping new surveillance laws, particularly for online communications.
ROME Italian police followed the correct procedures in flagging one of the London attackers to their British counterparts, Italy's senior policeman said on Wednesday, but he understands why the warning went unheeded. Eight people were killed and dozens wounded.
Xavier Thomas (45) had not been seen since Saturday night.
"Xavier's girlfriend was seriously injured on the bridge when she was hit by the van".
Zaghba, an Italian-Moroccan national, was identified as a possible militant threat after he was stopped at Bologna airport in 2016 as tried to reach Syria.
British police have named the third attacker as 22-year-old Youssef Zaghba, believed to be an Italian national of Moroccan descent.
He said Zaghba was always tracked by Italian intelligence officers while in the country and that United Kingdom authorities were informed.
Armed officers killed all three attackers within eight minutes of receiving an emergency call.
The marksmen are charged as they train their guns on the attackers, with one knifeman, who appears to be Butt, swinging his weapon wildly towards an officer.
"A person going to Turkey with a backpack aroused some suspicion, also because he told the agent who checked him that he wanted to go and be a terrorist, then he corrected himself", Amato said.
An Italian website has claimed Moroccan and "British authorities" were tipped off about Zaghba's movements after he was charged and later cleared on worldwide terrorism charges and placed on a "persons at risk" list.
After the attack police evacuated numerous survivors from Borough Market to Liverpool Street where they took witness statements and kept witnesses inside until Sunday morning.