British police name 3rd London Bridge attacker

Of the two men arrested on the street, one aged 27 was arrested on suspicion of the preparation of terrorist acts and the second aged 33 was arrested for on suspicion of possession with intent to supply controlled drugs.

Although Khuram B. was known to authorities, police on Monday said, "There was no intelligence to suggest that this attack was being planned and the investigation had been prioritized accordingly".

With flags at half-mast, the nation fell silent at 11:00am to remember the seven killed and dozens injured on Saturday night - a mourning ritual now grimly familiar after two previous terror attacks in less than three months.

The Italian intelligence agency had reported his presence and his trips to both the Moroccan and British authorities, the publication reports.The newspaper states that Zaghba was working in a seasonal job in a London restaurant and had visited Italy as recently as 2016.

British police have named the third London Bridge attacker as 22-year-old Youssef Zaghba and said he is believed to be an Italian national of Moroccan descent.

Butt worked out at the Ummah Fitness Centre in Ilford, where a message on the door said: "While Mr Butt did occasionally train here at UFC gym we do not know him well nor did we see anything of concern, we will of course help the police in any way we can".

An image taken from video shows three men on the ground after they were shot by police in Borough Market during an attack on London Bridge and the market, in London, Britain June 3, 2017. He has been criticized for voting against counter-terrorism legislation and expressing reservations about police responding to attacks with "shoot-to-kill" tactics.

"I would urge anyone with information about these men, their movements in the days and hours before the attack and the places they frequented to come forward", Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said in Monday's statement. He and Butt lived in Barking in east London.

All three were fatally shot within minutes of launching the attack.

An Italian court ruled that there was insufficient evidence of terrorism to charge Zaghba, but the security services sent an alert to London with the information gathered from his phone and from other checks carried out in Bologna. Witnesses say people were defending themselves with anything they could get their hands on.

Neighbors described Butt as an avid weightlifter and Transport for London confirmed he worked for London Underground in customer service before leaving last October.

Before he was stopped at Bologna airport previous year, he told his mother he was going to Rome, but had instead bought a one-way ticket to Istanbul, planning to travel on to Syria, Italian police believe. He also used the name Rachid Elkhdar, and claimed to be six years younger.

A minute's silence was observed at 11am on Tuesday in memory of the victims.

- Like the other two perpetrators, Zaghba lived in east London, Met Police said.

The third man suspected of carrying out Saturday's deadly attack in central London was an Italian-Morrocan who was arrested previous year on suspicion of trying to reach Syria.

  • Leroy Wright