Attackers raid Iran parliament and mausoleum, up to seven dead
- Author: Leroy Wright Jun 09, 2017,
Jun 09, 2017, 11:12
The ministry released the first names of the men and published pictures of their corpses.
In the midst of the unfolding attacks, the intelligence ministry said a third team had been stopped before the attacks started, but no further details have since been given.
It comes amid heightened tensions in the Middle East, with Saudi Arabia and other Arab states cutting ties with Qatar over alleged support for Islamist militants in the region and closer ties with Iran.
The attack came as emboldened Sunni Arab states - backed by U.S. president Donald Trump - are hardening their stance against Iran.
The U.S. statement of solidarity with the attack's victims is notable because of the deep distrust between the U.S. and Iran.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif took to Twitter to denounce Trump's reaction to the attacks and moves by USA lawmakers to slap new sanctions on Iran.
Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Friday attacks in Tehran by Islamic State that killed at least 17 people will increase hatred towards the United States and Saudi Arabia, state TV reported.
Iran's powerful Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) have already accused Saudi Arabia and the USA of being behind the attacks.
In a statement released by the White House, the U.S. leader noted, "We grieve and pray for the innocent victims of the terrorist attacks in Iran, and for the Iranian people, who are going through such challenging times". "Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Iran during this hard time".
Soon after the attacks when Iran blamed Saudi Arabia for it, the Sunni nation denied doing so.
Appearing on the White House's official website on Thursday, the passive-aggressive presidential statement opens with sympathy for the 13 victims who died in a terror attack on Iran's parliament and the Mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini on Wednesday. They never named the country directly, but the implication was clear. They were forced to flee after Abu Aisha was killed but returned sometime later to launch Wednesday's unprecedented assault.
"Rightly or wrongly, the perception inside Iran is going to be that Saudi Arabia is behind the attack", said Handjani. He told a group of students that if "Iran had not resisted", it would have faced even more troubles.
Claiming the attack, IS posted a video which showed what it claimed was footage from inside the parliament building.
A total of 17 people were killed in the double attack, according to local officials, while all the assailants were reportedly killed by security forces. ISIS claimed responsibility for the terror attacks in Tehran.