Third London attacker, Youssef Zaghba, was not on police or intel radar

A British government official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak about the investigation confirmed the details of the Italian report, and said the man had not been considered a "person of interest", meaning they had no reason to think he was violent or planning an attack.

British police have identified the third London attacker as Youssef Zaghba, a Moroccan-Italian who police in Italy said had been put on a security watch list.

Italian authorities said Zaghba was stopped at the Bologna airport in March 2016 and questioned, but never charged with a crime. He lived in Morocco for much of his life but made short visits to his mother. Redouane had claimed to be Moroccan and Libyan.

His passport and cellphone were seized, but he got them back after a court determined there wasn't enough evidence to arrest him.

United Kingdom police said that 22-year-old Youssef Zaghba lived in east London and had not been considered to be a "person of interest" to either police or the intelligence services - meaning they had no reason to think he was violent or planning an attack.

The latest developments come with counter-terror agencies already facing intense scrutiny after it was revealed another member of the terror gang, Khuram Shazad Butt, 27, had been known to security services.

Questions are being raised about whether British police missed crucial warning signs that could have prevented the attack. Authorities have said the London attack was apparently unconnected to the Manchester bombing.

"We simply don't have the resources we need to provide the best service we can", he said in an interview following Monday's vigil.

Butt had featured in a Channel 4 documentary The Jihadis Next Door, broadcast past year.

It was lowered once intelligence agencies were comfortable that this wasn't the case.

"When they asked him what he was going to do in Istanbul, rather than saying "tourist" he said 'terrorist, '" Collina told The Associated Press and other media, calling that a "mental lapse" and not a sign of intent. "What happened? How can he possibly be on a Channel 4 program and then committing atrocities like this?'", Johnson said on Sky News. British police and MI5 began investigating Butt intensively in 2015 as part of a major drive to dismantle and destabilize al-Muhajiroun, the sources told CNN.

"I can't answer that question now". The final suspect was identified as Rachid Redouane, who sometimes used the name Rachid Elkhdar.

Despite a rapid response to Saturday's deadly attack, which saw armed officers shoot dead all three suspects within eight minutes, opposition parties have called for May's resignation for her cuts to police numbers.

The Islamic State terror group has claimed the rampage, which sparked fears that Britain is in the grip of a spate of copycat incidents.

Eighteen plots have been stopped since 2013, including five since the Westminster attack.

Earlier this morning, at around 1.30am, police entered an address in Ilford in connection with the attack, with the search ongoing.

  • Leroy Wright