Manchester Police uncover 'significant evidence' in bombing

A man has been arrested at Heathrow Airport in connection with the Manchester Arena bombing.

Others still in custody are a 33-year-old arrested in Wigan, a 30-year-old arrested in Moss Side, a 44-year-old arrested in Rusholme, a 22-year-old and 20-year-old both arrested in Cheetham Hill, a 25-year-old arrested in the Old Trafford area, a 19-year-old arrested in Gorton, a 24-year-old arrested in Rusholme and a 20-year-old arrested on Cheetham Hill Road near to the Manchester Arena.

'The arrest was planned beforehand and there was no direct threat to the airport'.

The 49ers released the following statement on Tuesday: "The 49ers were disgusted to learn that a gym bag bearing the name of the team was found as evidence in association with the horrific act of terror that took place in Manchester, United Kingdom".

Detective Chief Superintendent Russ Jackson said that "significant evidence" had been in the auto, which Salman Abedi bought almost two months ago.

A total of seven men remain in police custody in relation to last month's suicide bombing, which killed 22 people at a pop concert in Manchester Arena, including 4 from the North East.

Police said Abedi had bought the white "old style" Nissan Micra with an "R" registration plate on April 13, 2017, but left the country two days later.

A white Nissan Micra has been seized by investigators from a property in Rusholme, and investigators say the terrorist had made "repeated trips" to the vehicle in the days before his deadly attack.

They are appealing for information about what happened to the auto between April 13 and April 15 of this year, specifically who was in the vehicle and where it was.

"We also appeal to anyone who knew Abedi or his close associates to come forward".

"It is vital we exhaust all our lines of enquiry to establish how this was planned and understand how others might have been involved". "We now need any information you might have about this holdall". This information could be vital in piecing together what happened.

On Tuesday morning Abedi's older brother, Ismail, was released without charge after being held by police for two weeks.

The city's police force had previously published CCTV images of Abedi and a blue suitcase he used, in a bid to jog the public's memory of any sightings of the attacker.

  • Zachary Reyes