London Bridge attack: police raid two more properties in east of city

Police carried out fresh raids and arrested "a number of people" today after the Islamic State group claimed an attack by three men who mowed down and stabbed revellers in London, killing seven people before being shot dead by officers.

Butt was previously known to police and the domestic spy agency, MI5.

Police said earlier that witness accounts suggested he might have been thrown into the river.

Authorities have named Butt and Irish pastry chef Rachid Redouane, 30, as two of the killers.

RTE said, without citing sources, that Redouane was refused asylum in Britain but was granted a "4 EU FAM" residence card after getting married in Ireland in 2012, which allowed him to apply for a permit to remain in Britain when he left Ireland. Three men are said to have gotten out and made their way towards Borough Market, while indiscriminately attacking people with knives. The assault was the third attack in three months in which most of the assailants had been on authorities' radar at some point. During the attack, seven people were killed and dozens more were wounded. British security officials said none of the men was considered violent, but they acknowledged the difficulty of predicting whether extremists will turn risky.

He said authorities had not shared any information with them.

According to the Italian publication Corriere della Sera, Zaghba was stopped in 2016 when trying to catch a flight to Turkey, before travelling to Syria. "We need to be more robust in identifying and stamping out extremism in public service and across society... it's time to say enough is enough".

Scotland Yard chief Cressida Dick said the nation is confronting a "new reality" after the wave of attacks.

Butt was known to police and "openly fundamentalist", NPR's Eleanor Beardsley reports from London. This revelation will increase the pressure on United Kingdom authorities - already under fire after it emerged that another attacker, Khuram Shazad Butt, was investigated by counterterrorism police as recently as 2015. "I'm sure the police will look into what they knew, what they could have done, what they did do and if anything could have been done differently", the mayor said in a BBC interview.

Prime Minister Theresa May, who called the snap election in hopes of strengthening her mandate for discussions over Britain's exit from the European Union, has come under fire for the cuts to police numbers over recent years.

In particular, the revelation that at least one of the attackers, Khuram Butt, was well known to security services has raised concerns that they lack the resources to prevent attacks. One person has been released without charge.

The area around Borough Market is not expected to reopen Tuesday.

Transport for London, which oversees the capital's transport network, has advised commuters to make alternative journeys as the station will be busy.

The attack was the third to hit Britain in quick succession after a similar incident on Westminster Bridge in March and a suicide bombing that killed 22 people at a pop concert in Manchester, northern England, less than two weeks ago.

"We're working with him, working together and that's important - central government and the London mayoralty and his officials working together to ensure we are responding to the attack".

  • Zachary Reyes