Kashmir: Curfew, restrictions continue in Valley to maintain law and order

He said in other parts of the Valley, restrictions under Section 144 remained in force and there was ban on assembly of more than five people at a single place.

Srinagar city is under curfew and with a large number of CRPF personnel and policemen deployed in the state capital. The separatists asked people to observe a shutdown on Monday and to march to Tral town on Tuesday.

A police spokesman said situation remained peaceful and under control throughout in valley.

The authorities have suspended mobile internet services in the valley, while the outgoing call facility on prepaid numbers has also been snapped as a precautionary measure.

Almost 1,300 Kashmiri youth defied terrorists' threats and the Hurriyat call for a strike on Sunday, and took the Army recruitment test at two centres: Srinagar's Jammu & Kashmir Light Infantry Regimental Centre and Baramulla's Pattan Army camp.

District Development Commissioner, Srinagar, Farooq Ahmed Lone said that curfew continued in seven police station areas of Khanyar, Rainawari, Nowhatta, M.R. Gunj, Safa Kadal, Kralkhud and Maisuma for the second day.

In occupied Kashmir, complete shutdown, marked by strict curfew and other restrictions continue across the Kashmir Valley for the second consecutive day, today.

"It's a clear rejection (by youth) of regressive bandh calls (by separatists) for choosing a brighter future", the spokesman said.

Sabzar Ahmad Bhat, a senior leader for the Hizbul Mujahideen, was martyred on Saturday in a gunbattle with Indian troops in his hometown of Tral. Authorities said these were necessary to maintain law and order.

He said all trains running between Srinagar-Badgam-Sopore and Baramulla in North Kashmir remained suspended since May 27 afternoon.

On Sunday morning, hundreds participated in the funeral prayers of Bhat at Ratsuna, Tral, even as Hurriyat leaders Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer and Yasin Malik called a two-day strike to protest against the killing of the terrorist in an encounter. JKLF chief Muhammad Yasin Malik was arrested and shifted to the Central Jail on Sunday.

Kashmir University spokesperson said the varsity has chose to postpone examinations scheduled for tomorrow.

"Though a stray stone pelting incident was reported from Tahab area in Pulwama, no injury was reported", he said.

Many hoteliers and others directly associated with the tourism industry are expressing fears of losing their livelihood if things do not return to normal quickly.

The unrest that followed Wani's killing lasted almost six months during which 94 civilians were killed and hundreds other injured.

Last year, almost 100 protesters were killed after Hizbul Mujahideen leader Burhan Wani was martyred triggering months of anti-India protests.

  • Leroy Wright