Nuneaton man held over Manchester terror attack released without charge

Three men arrested over the May 22 attack were released without charge on Tuesday.

A total of 10 men remain in British custody following the suicide bombing at Manchester Arena where United States singer Ariana Grande was performing.

Detectives investigating the Manchester Arena bomber have released more CCTV images of him as they piece together his movements after returning to the United Kingdom from Libya.

Detective Chief Superintendent Russ Jackson, head of the North West Counter Terrorism Unit, said: "We know that Abedi left the country on 15 April and arrived back on the 18 May and we now know from our enquiries that he purchased parts for the bomb after arriving back". Twenty-two people, including seven children, were killed in the attack. Five have been released without charge, while 11 are still in custody.

"Our inquiries show Abedi himself made most of the purchases of the core [bomb] components, and what is becoming apparent is that many of his movements and actions have been carried out alone during the four days from him landing in the country and committing this very bad attack", said Det Chief Supt Jackson. "We need the public's help in this".

Pictures of suicide bomber Salman Abedi walking the streets of Manchester in the days leading up to the concert terror attack have been released by police. If you have previously called and have information, I would urge you to call again.

In the photo, Abedi is seen wheeling a hard blue suitcase.

Police are still conducting raids and making more arrests as they try to piece together Abedi's final movements in the days before the terror attack.

The suitcase is a "different item" than the one he used in the attack, police said, but added that they believe he was in possession of it "days before the attack".

Police said Wednesday that a cordon has been placed around a property in Rusholme, south of central Manchester, where they are now searching for clues about the bombing.

Britain's top counterterrorism police officer, Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley, said in a statement Friday that police have made "significant arrests and finds" in the investigation of the attack, claiming they had gotten "hold of a large part" of an alleged network of Abedi's.

Greater Manchester Police has confirmed that 10 men, aged between 18 and 44, remain in custody on suspicion of offences contrary to the Terrorism Act.

  • Salvatore Jensen