Manchester area evacuated over auto linked to bomb attack

The auto was found on Devell Court near Banff Road in the city.

Police said they are investigating why they think Abedi left the vehicle on the opposite side of the city from where the bombing took place.

Suicide bomber Salman Abedi killed 22 people May 22 at Manchester Arena, police said.

Ch Supt Stuart Ellison provided details on how her under-pressure police force would deal with the security and logistics of this weekend's One Love Manchester memorial concert at the Old Trafford cricket ground and Michael Carrick's testimonial match at the Old Trafford football ground.

Britain's Prince William has also been visiting the city this afternoon, he made a private visit to Manchester Children's Hospital to meet survivors.

Julian Williams is a St John's Ambulance volunteer and was among the first on the scene - he says the Duke had some kind words.

We have had police officers conducting house to house enquiries but we are still not satisfied why Abedi went [to Banff Road] and its vital we understand exactly where he went there and who he spoke to in these final days before the attack.
"My thoughts are with the families of the victims", said 24-year-old Isaac.

As a precaution, people were being evacuated from the nearby Ronald McDonald House, which offers accommodation for families with children who are being treated in the hospital.

The two brothers, of Libyan descent, said they last saw Abedi three months before the attack, when he got his hair trimmed at Abz Forjani's barber shop in Manchester.

The auto is parked near Banff Road, where terrorist Salman Abedi returned repeatedly carrying a blue suitcase in the run-up to the bombing at Manchester Arena.

Meanwhile, following claims that warnings about Abedi were not followed up, officers have been unable to find any records of calls to the police anti-Terrorist Hotline regarding Abedi before the events of May 22.

"I believe it was all done by one man, (who) developed some sort of thoughts in the past few years which he kept to himself, secretly to himself". The fact that the person that did this is related to us by blood is something that's going to stay with me for the rest of my life.

Greater Manchester Police yesterday confirmed that 10 men, aged between 18 and 44, remained in custody on suspicion of offences contrary to the Terrorism Act. Six others, including a 15-year-old boy, have been released without being charged.

  • Leroy Wright