Malcolm Turnbull Responds To London Terror Attacks
- Author: Salvatore Jensen Jun 04, 2017,
Jun 04, 2017, 11:54
Saturday's incident on London Bridge comes less than three months after a man drove an SUV into a crowd on the sidewalk along Westminster Bridge in London, killing at least four people and injuring many others.
The trio were shot dead by the police at the scene.
Three men then fled the van with large knives and attacked people at packed bars and restaurants in the nearby Borough Market.
They are working closely with British Transport Police, City of London Police, the London Ambulance Service and the London Fire Brigade.
BBC radio said witnesses saw people throwing tables and chairs at the perpetrators of the attack to protect themselves. Six innocent people were said to be dead by 10:56 p.m. EST.
The terrorists came in a white van and rammed it into several pedestrians on London Bridge.
Mr Rowley said the suspects were confronted and shot by police within eight minutes of the first call.
But in his unfiltered response to Saturday's presumed terrorist incidents in London, which also featured a retweet - and with it an apparent presidential endorsement - of unsubstantiated claims from conservative rumor site Drudge Report, President Trump has once again seemed to undermine his own administration's case. In March, four people were killed in London after Khalid Masood rammed his auto into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge before fatally stabbing a policeman outside the Houses of Parliament.
A female companion said: "We were in the restaurant and we just saw three guys come into the restaurant, stabbed someone in the face and someone in the stomach".
In a statement, the prime minister thanked first responders.
The incidents in London come less than two weeks after 22 people were killed in the northern city of Manchester when a suicide-bomber detonated explosives as fans were leaving a concert by pop singer Ariana Grande.
The ambulance service said more than 30 victims were rushed to five hospitals with injuries from the attack.
According to Met Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley, a van struck people on the London Bridge. "I hid in a restaurant basement for about an hour".
One of them appeared to be wearing combat pants with what looked like a belt with canisters attached to it.
The Metropolitan Police advised people caught up in the incidents to "RUN - to a place of safety".
"He swerved right round me and then hit about five or six people", Jones told the channel.
US President Donald Trump: "Whatever the United States can do to help out in London and the UK, we will be there - WE ARE WITH YOU". "But these were later established to hoaxes".
Britain's Conservative Party has announced that it is suspending national campaigning ahead of the general election on June 8 as a result of the terror attacks in London.
Police are continuing to look for at least two assailants, who are now believed to be on the run as the surrounding areas have been placed on lockdown.
"(The man) said he had been stabbed in the neck and I was holding his bandage and wound while he was talking to the police". Stabbings were reported in at least one other area.
A photo posted by a Twitter user named Brad Myers shows bystanders staring down the bridge at the aftermath of the attack, and what appears to be injured people can be seen laying on the ground in the background.