Kabul protest that left several dead enters second day
- Author: Salvatore Jensen Jun 04, 2017,
Jun 04, 2017, 2:58
Friday's protest became violent after some of demonstrators continued moving forward after entreaties by police to stop several hundred meters away from the presidential palace, witnesses said.
Seven people were killed and 119 others wounded Saturday in a trio of suicide bombings during the funeral of a protester killed a day earlier in anti-government demonstrations in the capital city, Afghan officials said.
"Many people have been killed and wounded at the funeral of Salim Ezadyar", the son of a prominent Afghan politician, witness Abdul Wudood told AFP.
Isis has been attempting to expand its presence in Afghanistan, claiming a separate bombing on Wednesday in Jalalabad that killed a Taliban member, and has called for increased global terror attacks during Ramadan.
Ezadyar was one of several people killed Friday when police clashed with protestors who were demanding better security in the capital.
The security forces used riot gear and water cannons before firing live rounds into the air to try to dissuade the angry crowd from storming the grounds of the palace. "If that would have been the solution for the challenges that the country is faced with, I am sure I can at least talk for myself that I would have been ready to resign", Abdullah said.
The security situation has continued to worsen - more than 15 years after the USA invaded Afghanistan in the "war on terror" - forcing Donald Trump to consider sending thousands of American troops to bolster North Atlantic Treaty Organisation forces.
Three blasts rang out at a funeral in Kabul, Afghanistan.
Alam Ezadyar is deputy speaker for the upper house of the Afghanistan Parliament.
Lawmakers and high-profile government officials attended the funeral, including those from the senator's Jamiat-e Islami party, Rasmussen said.
More than 1,000 people chanted slogans calling for the resignation of the government, as well as "death to the Taliban" and "death to Haqqani", the wing of the insurgency believed by intelligence services to be responsible for Wednesday's attack.
The violence further complicates the situation confronting USA and coalition officials as they work on plans expected to see an increase of between 3,000 and 5,000 in the number of foreign troops in Afghanistan. In the first three months of the year at least 715 civilians were killed across the country, after nearly 3,500 in 2016, the deadliest year on record for Afghan civilians.