Bounty hunters and fugitive shoot each other dead in Texas

Two bounty hunters and a fugitive killed in a gun battle at a Texas auto dealership fired 20 times in six seconds as video from the scene shows the investigators trying to keep the suspect's gun away from him.

Hutchinson, 49, had an outstanding warrant for failure to appear on a first-degree drug charge in Minneapolis.

In 26 seconds of video captured on cell phone, you can see the moment bounty hunters Fidel Garcia and Gabriel Bernal approached suspect Ramon Hutchinson. That is when the target pulled out a gun and started to fire.

The bounty hunters had been waiting for Hutchinson at the dealership for several hours. Authorities said Wednesday two bounty hunters and the fugitive from Minnesota they were tracking shot each other dead in a hail of bullets that sent customers and employees fleeing for cover at the vehicle dealership.

A shooting last night at a Nissan dealership in the Dallas region left three people dead. All three men died.

Ford said that when the two men tried to apprehend the third man, a gunfight erupted as horrified employees and customers ducked for cover.

Although there was significant damage to the front windows of the dealership, no customers or employees were injured.

The dealership closed Wednesday.

The odd circumstances around the event have Ford and others at the dealership speculating that the first two men could have been bounty hunters rather than federal agents. That's when Hutchinson tries to draw a pistol, but drops it. A woman, possibly Hutchinson's girlfriend, and a man, possibly a dealership employee, are also in view. Photos from the scene showed that several windows were hit by gunfire, shattering at least one window.

Witnesses say gunshots and explosions have been heard at a mall, casino and hotel complex near Manila's worldwide airport in the Philippine capital.

Garcia sat on the board of the Texas Association of Licensed Investigators and another board member, Bradley Smith, described him to the AP as a "gentle giant".

The dealership said its service department will re-open at 7:30 a.m. Friday, but the showroom will re-open at 8:30 a.m. on Monday.

The two bounty hunters were tipped off by a colleague, Stew Peters, who is a bail investigator in Minnesota with a company called U.S. Fugitive Recovery and Extradition.

  • Larry Hoffman