What we know about the Philippines resort attack and how it unfolded
- Author: Leroy Wright Jun 03, 2017,
Jun 03, 2017, 2:18
"We can not attribute this to terrorism", police chief dela Rosa said. Albayalde said the gunman had been trying to steal 113 million pesos ($2.3 million) worth of gambling chips because he might have lost money in a game and wanted to compensate that.
The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) reportedly claimed responsibility in the Resorts World attack perpetrated by a lone gunman, who was one among the 37 killed in the incident after setting on fire the casino tables inside the establishment.
While an Islamic State-linked Filipino said on social media that "lone wolf soldiers" of the Islamic State group were behind the attack, police noted the man didn't shoot anyone he encountered.
He was carrying a rifle and had shot at TV screens, set tables on fire and stuffed a bag with gambling chips.
Three South Koreans suffered minor injuries from smoke inhalation or during the evacuation, the official said.
The victims, who did not appear to have been shot, are thought to have died of suffocation, Southern Police District Director Superintendent Tomas Apolinario said Friday.
Thirty-six bodies were found inside a casino in the Philippine capital today after a masked man burst in with an automatic rifle and set fire to a gaming room, authorities said, but insisted it was not a terrorist attack.
For his part, Mr. Albayalde said the assault is not an act of terrorism because "he (attacker) did not [shoot] anybody".
President Donald Trump in remarks at the White House referred to the Manila incident as a terrorist attack.
The Philippine police said on Friday they were looking at a "person of interest" in connection with the attack at a casino resort in the capital, in which at least 36 people died and more than 70 were injured.
Thousands of residents have fled the city, and at least 140 people have been reported killed there since the siege began last week.
"Severe blood loss from the gunshot wound significantly slowed the assailant down and resulted in his holing up in a room where he took his own life", Resort World said, although police did not corroborate that report. He says the gunman apparently killed himself.
The gunman didn't appear to be firing at people, said PNP Chief Dela Rosa.
"We can not attribute this to terrorism", national police chief dela Rosa told DZMM radio.
Abayalde says the guards at the door ran away after seeing the armed man. "I don't think it will be a long-term downside", Mr. Barcelon said in a mobile phone message, even as he added that "t$3 o give assurance to both tourists and investors, there should be more visuals of law enforcers on the streets".
Dela Rosa said the suspect was finally found with the help of closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras.
Like most Manila casinos and hotels, Resorts World had metal detectors at its entrances and typically checked vehicles before allowing them access.
It is really very sad as to what is going on throughout the world with terror. We are closely monitoring the situation.
Gunshots and explosions rang out early Friday at a mall, casino and hotel complex near Manila's worldwide airport in the Philippine capital, sparking a security alarm amid an ongoing Muslim militant siege in the country's south.
The complex, which is described on RWM's website as "the first and largest integrated resort in the Philippines", is located across from Ninoy Aquino International Airport.