Three climbers die trying to reach Everest summit

The deaths - including 54-year-old Australian Francesco Enrico Marchetti - came during brief windows of good weather that allowed a push toward the summit near the end of the busiest climbing season on record. This was the deadliest episode since an avalanche swept through base camp two years ago, killing 18 people. All the fatalities appear to be related to altitude sickness.

"But it not possible to retrieve the body immediately", Chowang Sherpa, managing director of Arun Treks and Expedition, said.

A team of high-altitude guides spotted Kumar's body on Monday morning in a 200-metre crevasse near the summit.

The following day, Roland Yearwood, a doctor from Alabama who returned to Everest after surviving an earthquake-triggered avalanche in 2015, died not far from the summit on the Nepali side, according to tourism officials and his trekking company.

According to the Himalayan Times, 50-year-old Vladimir Strba suffered severe altitude sickness and died on the peak Sunday. His name has not yet been officially released.

Legendary Swiss climber Ueli Steck died late April while on an acclimatization climb, and 85-year-old Min Bahadur Sherchan perished attempting to reclaim his title as the world's oldest person to summit Everest.

A dozen other climbers had to be rescued in the past three days due to difficulties on the "Roof of the World", the rescuers told the Washington Post. With this, the total death toll in one month has gone up by three.

The goal of many avid climbers is to reach the highest mountain peak on each continent, a feat known as the Seven Summits. There are forecasts of strong winds over the next few days.

Getty Images Nepal has been struggling to get climbers, vital for its tourism industry, back to the region since a devastating 7.8 magnitude quake struck in April 2015, causing an avalanche which killed 22 climbers at Everest base camp.

Since the first summit of Everest in 1953 more than 300 people - a lot of them locals - have died attempting to scale Everest and Lhotse, which share the same route until diverting at Camp 3 at 7,200 metres.

Kumar and his guide reached as high as the 8,850 meter high (29,035 ft. high) point as of around 1:30 pm Saturday, which is considered being a bit behind schedule.

  • Joanne Flowers